Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0365 Code - 2009 2.2 litre LT - My experiences

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:32 PM

P0365 Code - 2009 2.2 litre LT - My experiences

There isn't much available for this error code online so I thought I'd share my experience with fixing this issue for other novices who may need help. Please note that I include myself in the novice pool and this is likely routine for a lot of you.

We had a cold snap and the check engine light came on. I checked the codes and had P0119 related to the coolant (which I get frequently when it's really cold) and P0365. Since P0365 indicates a sensor, I reset it figuring that the cold may just be messing with it too. The car was running fine so I didn't have another thought about it until about a week later. When I came out of church, the car had to crank for a couple seconds before turning over. It still ran fine but the check engine light was on. After stopping at a store, the car had to crank for a while and I had to play with it a bit to get it to start. After it started, I plugged in my OBDII and checked the code - P0365.

Having Monday off of work, I had some other things lined up to work on and added this to the list. I started doing research.

Things I learned:
1 - Most car makes have P0365 listed as Cam Position Sensor Bank 'B' or something like that. The page on this site with diagnostic codes here differentiates between the cam position sensors as the Intake sensor (P0340) and the Exhaust sensor (P0365)
2 - This typically indicates a bad sensor but it could be a bad wire or something else
2 - There is only one sensor replacement part that is for both intake and exhaust sides (Cam Position Sensor)
3 - It's a simple replacement - much simpler for the Intake (on the front side of the engine in view) than the Exhaust (on the firewall side of the engine)

It took me about 15 minutes to replace the exhaust side sensor. The biggest problem is that it was hard to get to. It is in a busy area on the back of the engine with the bolt facing almost straight down (really glad I have long arms). Mine was just under the engine lift mount. Taking my time to not drop the bolt, I used a 10 mm socket to remove the single bolt holding the sensor in and the part slid right out. The wiring harness has a grey retention clip that must be removed before depressing the hook to remove the old part from the harness. Oil the o-ring before installing the new part. No trick getting the new one in except that you may have to rotate it a bit to get the bolt started.

I hope this helps someone down the road. When I found nothing except the code list on this site for P0365, I was a little worried. If nothing else, the next person to search for that code on here will find two posts.

Comments are appreciated.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM
Technical Moderator

Both of those codes refer to the CIRCUITS. Neither has anything to do with temperature.

p0119 is the ECT circuit is intermittent.

Maybe the sensors have shorted internally, but a better bet would be a wire laying on the exhaust manifold or a broken wire.

BTW, GoOgle will get you to a discussion on any DTC if you type the code into it.

The reason you don't see anything about it here is that it is incredibly rare.

Hope your fix holds, if it doesn't start wiggling wires.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Administrator

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0365

Commonly loose wires

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford

Ditto
Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Thank you both for your advice. :-)

The P0119 has literally happened twice in two years - the two times it's gotten into the teens here in North Carolina. Strange that it indicates a bad circuit but has only happened those two times.

I had googled and looked at the P0365 on the obd codes page. I just trust this forum more when it comes to HHRs. I definitely get HHR specific instructions that aren't always available elsewhere (like for this specific issue).

Anyhow, I have no pending or logged faults at this point for the cam position sensor - hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Administrator

You're welcome! Enjoy the drive!!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:09 AM
JSK

And KUDOS for contributing to our helpful community! People like you are why this site is invaluable -- thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Aw shucks, Wilbur