Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

p1174 -Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM

p1174 -Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance

So, I've done the search on here and found that this code is usually generated by clogged injectors. From that search, I've noted that fuel injection cleaners don't work (tried a can of Sea Form in the gas tank, didn't do much) and that fuel injetion replacement is pretty much the route to take. A buddy of mine is a mechanic and took the car in to hook it up to their "big computer". Said he found an injector update program and installed it for me. Code went off for about 2 weeks and has now come back. Same code. For what it's worth, I'm getting really good mpg's right now, but the car is developing a little hiccup and a dead spot around 2200-2400 rpm. Hard to describe...just one of those things that you can feel in a car that you drive everyday. If you give it the beans, it goes just fine, but light to normal acceleration, mostly when cold, accentuates this issue.

That being said, I've pretty much decided that new injectors are in order. I'm not getting all the way in there and doing just two...I'll do all 4. I have a two part question for those of you that have done this or are in the know:

1. Do you have any suggestions on which injectors to go with? part #'s and locations of purchase would be most helpful (to me and any others looking)

2. How tough of a job is it? Do I need any special tools to release the fuel lines from the injectors themselves?

A google search of the code brings up injector issues for just about anything GM with a 2.4L engine. Searched a little and found that the injectors themselves aren't terribly expensive (ranging from $28-50per). Don't want to be cheap for cheaps sake, but don't want to overpay for the same product as the cheapies.

As always, thank you for any suggestions and you all are the best
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM

30 views and no love yet? Need some help here!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Founding Member

The reprogram is done after the injector replacement or cleaning I believe. I would try cleaning them with an injector cleaning tool that any shop should have. Anything poured into a gas tank is not going to "fix" a problem. They tout their products protect your vehicle from "getting" a problem, and you can believe that if you wish.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Founding Member

More Love

#03-06-04-030H: Various Driveability Symptoms Due to Clogged Fuel Injectors, MIL/SES DTCs P0171, P0172, P0174, P0300, P1174, P1175 (Clean Fuel Injectors and/or Perform Injector Test With AFIT CH-47976) - (Aug 28, 2012)

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following various driveability symptoms:
• Extended Crank Time
• Hard to Start
• MIL/SES Illuminated with DTCs
• Hesitation
• Lack of Power
• Surge or Chuggle
• Rough Idle
• Light or Intermittent Misfire

Cause

Due to various factors, the fuel injectors may become restricted. Extensive testing has demonstrated that fuel related issues are the cause of clogged injectors. At this point, no specific fuel, fuel constituent, or engine condition has been identified as causing the restriction. The restriction causes the engine to operate at a lean air fuel ratio. This may either trigger the MIL to illuminate or the engine to develop various driveability symptoms.

Correction

Fuel injector restrictions, deposits can be cleaned on the vehicle using the following procedure. Under NO circumstances should this procedure be modified, changed or shortened. As a long term solution, and to prevent reoccurrence, customers should be encouraged to use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. For further information on Top Tier detergent gasoline and fuel retailers, please refer to the latest version of the following Corporate Bulletin Numbers:
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Founding Member

Even More Love

Service Information

2006 Chevrolet HHR | HHR VIN A Service Manual | Document ID: 2266028
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-06-04-001B: Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0171, P0300, P1174 Set (Perform Injector Test, Replace Injectors and Reprogram ECM, If Necessary) - (Apr 21, 2009)
Subject:

Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0171, P0300, P1174 Set (Perform Injector Test, Replace Injectors and Reprogram ECM, if Necessary)

Models:

2006-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR
2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada)
2007 Pontiac G5, G6
2006-2007 Saturn ION

with 2.4L Engine (VIN B, P– RPO LE5)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being updated to include the Pontiac Pursuit and to add an Important statement. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-001A (Section 06— Engine /Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the check engine light being illuminated.

A scan tool may reveal DTC P0171, P0300 or P1174 set as current or in history.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the plugging of one or more of the injector director plate orifices which results in a lean condition.

Correction

Important: This condition cannot be corrected by cleaning the injector(s).
Important: For Chevrolet and Pontiac vehicles, reprogramming must be done using the remote method. For Saturn vehicles, reprogramming must be done using the pass-through method.

Follow the published diagnostics in SI for any DTC recorded.

Perform an injector balance test using the Active Fuel Injector Tester (AFIT), CH-47976. Refer to the Fuel Injector Diagnosis (w/CH47976) procedure in SI. If any injector is identified as having a lean condition, replace all four injectors with the revised injectors. After installing the new injectors, reprogram the ECM with updated calibration files using the TIS2WEB Service Programming System (SPS) application. There are two calibration part numbers that are valid for“Engine Operation”. Select the part number with the description that reads for vehicles with second design injector. The injector has a dark blue overmold color for this repair.
Important: The fuel injectors must be replaced and the new calibration files must be installed to ensure a complete repair. Failure to perform both repairs will result in the customer returning with the same condition.

If a vehicle returns with the same condition after having this repair performed, the technician should first verify that the complete repair was performed before continuing with SI diagnostics.

Parts Information

Part Number
12625029 Injector, Fuel 4
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Loves me some chevymgr! Thank you sir!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR with the 2.4 engine and 170,000 miles...and tomorrow I bring it in to have the new re-designed injectors installed....my mechanic has been trouble shooting the problem for the past few weeks.....had to find a tech with the updated software to re-program the computer once the injectors are replaced...total cost $600.00...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Surfer 54
How did the injector project work out? I have a code 1174 along with a code 303. I am hoping that new plugs will rectify the more serious 1174 issue, Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by CR Dave
Surfer 54
How did the injector project work out? I have a code 1174 along with a code 303. I am hoping that new plugs will rectify the more serious 1174 issue, Dave
Funny you should ask...replaced all 4 injectors yesterday. 40 min hood up to hood down. Couldn't have been easier. CEL is off and car is running just fine. Bought the injectors from RockAuto ($28 per) and just to be safe, bought a full o-ring/clip kit from AutoZone ($36 w/tax) but didn't need it and returned it this morning.

Was going to do a how-to write up on injector swap, but it would've taken me longer to take the pics and write it up than it did to do the entire job. 2 10mm bolts holding the fuel rail in, light even tug and the fuel rail with all 4 injectors came right out (did blow all the schmutz out around the injectors with air first!). ***Make sure to find all the o-rings that were up in the fuel rail BEFORE installing the new injectors*** Have to release the pressure on the fuel rail by depressing the pin in the schraeder valve...no matter how much you do this, there is more fuel/pressure than you thought, so be ready to catch a load. Pull the first (any) injector out with towel covering it to save yourself a gas bath. Clips were easy to remove and the sleeves in the head looked fine. The new injectors came with all the o-rings and new clips already installed, so it was simply a plug and play. Wished I'd have done it a couple months ago when the damn light came on in the first place.

While I had the credit card out, ordered some Moog end links. Installing those was a breeze...taking the old one's out, not so much. Couldn't imagine a bigger p.i.t.a. than that. Such a stupid design...why wouldn't you put a nut on the other side of the bar to keep the threaded bolt from spinning (you know, like the Moog set up??). Ended up having to cut them off with a grinder. That took about 2 hours to do both sides, but it's pretty quiet now, so it was worth it. One piece of advice...don't use a grinder with short sleeves on

Last edited by SmootHHR; 01-12-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling...yes, i'm a spelling nerd.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 AM

oh...forgot that you DO NOT need a fuel line release tool to do this job, for those who are wondering. Can do the entire job with a 10mm socket and a small screw driver to release the clips (once you remove the air box).

Quick Reply: p1174 -Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance