Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

parking lamp fuse constantly blows

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dezzspair
is there anyway i can test with a multimeter instead of the flasher? (im an electrician just no dc knowledge)
Call one of your local parts stores (like Napa or similar) and see if they have the tool you need. They might be able to rent it to you for free or for cheap.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

If it used to be intermittent in blowing the fuse, but is now immediate now you have removed the licence plate bulbs, doesn't that kind of indicate where the problem lay?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I'm Thinking rodent chewing up in the front fender wells ! Op he not confirmed this yet!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 AM

I looked at the harness next to the interior fuse box and nothing looked awry or chewed. and no the whole license plate bulb thing does not tell me where the problem lays that's why i am here asking. replaced parking lamp bulbs today and still the fuse blows immediately going to the part store now to get a relay and see if that fixes it
Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 PM

so i replaced the relay and thought the job was done left the car parked for 20 mins and park lamps were still on, 10 mins on my drive the fuse blew again, so i replaced the fuse, and while parked it was fine after about 4 mins of driving it blew again. i have no idea what to even check at this point
Old 03-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

re: and no the whole license plate bulb thing does not tell me where the problem lays that's why i am here asking

The point I was making is that "something" changed (you pulled the license plate bulbs), that changed the symptoms (it now blows the fuse immediately).

That would indicate on the surface that the problem lay within the license plate assembly itself - either a short in one of the sockets for the lights or in the wires feeding directly into the bulb holders.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:25 PM

im also figuring the relay may have had something to do with it, i checked the wiring of the plate bulbs and it looks fine no charring or anything out of place, i may just have to take it to somebody and hope the bill isnt too high, unless somebody can think of something better to try

and thanks to all that are trying to help me out here
Old 03-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Administrator

follow the wires from the license plate bulbs back to the first connector terminal, disconnect it , check to confirm if the fuse or relay blows or not.
If the fuse is constantly blowing then , it has to be a direct short , it is just a matter of finding it, you mention you changed the park lamps, did you check the wiring at the front running, turn signal and side marker lamps? How about the rear running lamps/ brake lights, any chaffing or contact burn spots on those wires.
You can do this , save the hourly rate of a mechanic and get that , wow I did it myself feeling of pride!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Technical Moderator

I am concerned that an electrician is out there that does not understand short circuits and continuity.

It is not unheard of that socket gets corroded.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
I am concerned that an electrician is out there that does not understand short circuits and continuity.

It is not unheard of that socket gets corroded.
Funny. I had that same thought about the electrician.

Quick Reply: parking lamp fuse constantly blows