Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Passenger doors (left and right) stuck shut

Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM

Passenger doors (left and right) stuck shut

I've been running into this problem for the last couple of years. Sometime in the fall, the passenger doors behind the driver/front passenger. just won't open. The internal and external door latches do nothing. Then when summer approaches, they magically open. Not always the same door.
When they do open, I spray penetrating oil on the latch mechanism and cross my fingers it won't happen again.

So, this year, both doors are stuck. I pulled the plastic paneling off the best I could, without wrecking the power windows switch and other stuff. I can get my hand in and feel the threaded rod for the external latch, but it doesn't release. Is there any release tab for the doors, like the nib for emergency rear hatch?

Checked with the Canadian dealer and replacement latches are $170 a piece. The dealer charges $125 per hour and they admitted they have never replaced them and don't know the shop time. At that rate, I can't afford to have them experimenting on how to unstuck the doors.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Technical Moderator

Are the doors open now?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Administrator

I remember a thread about this problem from a few years ago. I know the door panel removal is a PITA , but required to get at the door release mechanism to lube it up with a spray lube that does not freeze up in the cold winter weather.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Doors are not open.

Pulled the plastic door open enough and sprayed some lube stuff on the locks.

The temps have been hovering around 66 F.

Hopefully they open soon. Would make it real handy for the kids. They have to enter and exit out the driver or passenger front doors and crawl over the seats.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 PM

having the same problem the door actuators are faulting they control latch and lock I phoned chevy and asked to add to recall list they said they need more people to call and complain before the call a recall for it hell I have an 82 Silverado door latches work fine in it because they are made of metal but on hhr all plastic made to wear out and cost an arm and leg to repair
Old 04-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Technical Moderator

Don't over use "recall". Just because you have a problem with a 6 year old car, does not mean there is an inherent defect in quality or workmanship.

The latches are as much metal as they were in 1982. I doubt your Silverado has remote locking. The pot metal I've seen from 1982 is brittle and falls apart.