Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

passenger seat belt stuck not operable

Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM

passenger seat belt stuck not operable

Out of the blue my passenger seat belt will not free up for use. I cannot get it down to latch it in. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a 'reset' procedure to free it? My passenger cannot use their seat belt.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Founding Member

If you mean the retractor will not pull out it would need to be replaced.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM

Try Lowering the height of it by pushing in the button on the pillar attachment and lower it. this should free the belt. I've had this issue.

Yay GM!!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM

Weird-had my mother in law in the HHR today shuttling back and forth from docs & hospital and it got stuck every time on her when she would get back in the car. Only happened to her-never anyone else. I used the "lower the adjustment trick" and it did free it up. I also noticed that my MiL seemed to pull the belt once or twice just before putting it to the side of the seat after unbuckling the belt. Maybe the gravity lock got "fooled" into thinking there was a hard stop or an accident and locked up because of her jerking the belt before pushing it away.

My daughter used the belt twice after that and it did not happen to her. Check to see what the person does to the belt after taking it off to see why it locked up. I don't think my belt is defective-just doing its job but due to a different cause.

Mike
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Weird-had my mother in law in the HHR today shuttling back and forth from docs & hospital and it got stuck every time on her when she would get back in the car. Only happened to her
Mike
HAHA! LMFAO!

It only happens to my mother in law too. maybe our cars sense the dark side! just kidding. we get along i just thought it was funny it's both of our mother in laws
Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 PM

My MIL also....must be an old lady thing. She yanks the belt out all the way to
the stop every time she is in my car...and we still have to hook her up at
least half of the time......
Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM

EXACTLY!!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by eaglefreak138
Try Lowering the height of it by pushing in the button on the pillar attachment and lower it. this should free the belt. I've had this issue.

Yay GM!!
Lowering the height worked. Thanks. I must remember that next time, if it happens again.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 PM

I've been having the same issue but it isn't caused by my mother in law. It actually doesn't matter who is in the car. Once it is suck sometimes I am able to get the seat belt released by lowering the height adjuster but that doesn't always work. I've been fortunate that eventually it will release it self after a while but sometimes that can been weeks. Does anyone know the cause of this issue and if something does need to be replaced, what the cost might be?
Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Not familar with this problem, and I do have a mother in law!
I suggest due to the safety nature of the seat belt, take it to your local GM dealership the next time this happens.
Insurance companies can be very picky in the event someone is injured due to an unlicensed person messing with the belt assemblies!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: passenger seat belt stuck not operable