Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Peeling Black Chrome Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Peeling Black Chrome Wheels...

My new set of wheels just came in. They will be the third set on my car since new.

The Black Chrome continues to "de-laminate" from the chrome surface. More often than not - it starts on the spokes - and goes from there. I use only car soap with the occasional Eagle One A to Z All Wheel Cleaner to clean the wheels -

Is this an isolated incident - or are others with Premiere and Fall Edition HHR's having this issue???

Would appreciate some info....
Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

If you use the search engine on this site (near the top of the page) and do a search for Black Chrome peeling, you will find several threads devoted to that issue.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Not isolated. Type in the search function "wheels peeling" and it will bring up some threads.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Echo echo echo!!! Lol
Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Echo echo echo!!! Lol
Looks like we typed about the same thing at the same time Great minds think alike
Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 PM

I have posted previously - just wondering since my posts and others - if anyone has any "new" news on this...or do I get them back, and put a set of aftermarket wheels on...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 3amigos
I have posted previously - just wondering since my posts and others - if anyone has any "new" news on this...or do I get them back, and put a set of aftermarket wheels on...
Might want to get them powered coated I had mine gloss black and love them.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Are you getting new factory wheels, or are they refinishing the old ones?
A similar problem on the cobalt gunmetal wheels was pretty common. At first GM would replace them only to have it reoccur. Then they started shipping the old wheels out to be refinished and they held up much better. These had a slightly darker finish.
Maybe press GM to refinish at a shop that does good work.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 AM

I have a black 07 Fall Edition 2LT with black chrome and the wheels and grill all peeled.. took back to dealer and they replaced with the regular chrome grill and by the 3rd set of rims the ones they gave me have not peeled and that was 3 years ago... Detroit Michigan here!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 AM

My new set of wheels just came in. They will be the third set on my car since new.

The Black Chrome continues to "de-laminate" from the chrome surface. More often than not - it starts on the spokes - and goes from there. I use only car soap with the occasional Eagle One A to Z All Wheel Cleaner to clean the wheels -

Is this an isolated incident - or are others with Premiere and Fall Edition HHR's having this issue???

Would appreciate some info....
Yup... mine is black do not use any chrome cleaners!!!.. made dealer replace 3 times and replace front grill with the regular chrome grill

Quick Reply: Peeling Black Chrome Wheels...