Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power steering error but still have power steering???

Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Unhappy Power steering error but still have power steering???

Hello, my name is Alli and I am new here....
I have a 2006 HHR bought (used) 4 years ago with 63,000 miles on it now has aprox. 126,000 miles on it. Never had problems with it till 2 days ago. Driving on highway and the power steering light displayed on dash. Still had power steering. The odometers were jumping and the car was jerking real bad. Drove again, didn't happen. Drove the next day and the same incident happened but did not have the odometer jumping or the Power steering displayed. Just jerking when speeding up. Had at mechanic and they could not see any problems.

Anyone can help???

Last edited by allij0812; 12-11-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

allij0812....

I suggested to the Moderators that perhaps you should have your own new thread. You'll probably get better/more responses that way. So, if you don't see your post here, it may be under a new thread.

It appears like you may have an unrelated problem to this topic.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Technical Moderator

Thanks Snoopy, it's moved
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome.

The typical thing to do is look for a loose or bad connection at the ECM, or one of the wires going to it is chafed or broken.

The EngineControlModule is under the Darth Vader hood in front of the fuse box. The wiring harness from the engine connects to it, sometimes gets loose, sometimes a wire gets too close to something hot.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 PM

Welcome to the site make sure all the fuses a relays are push down and tight. Did your shop test the battery? A failing battery can make some strange things happen
Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
allij0812....

I suggested to the Moderators that perhaps you should have your own new thread. You'll probably get better/more responses that way. So, if you don't see your post here, it may be under a new thread.

It appears like you may have an unrelated problem to this topic.
I am a newbie.... Sorry, How do I make a new thread?
I did however pick my car up this evening. I have been told that the battery my need to be changed as I have not done so since I have been the owner. I did have my neighbor drive with me roughly on highway and thru out our neighborhoods (she is a certified mechanic) No problems. We checked the fuses and relays under the hood and had to push them down as those were loose. She also said I will nee a new serpentine belt too.
Driving it to work tomorrow, lets hope it gets me there and home without any problems.

Sorry if this should be a new thread I just wanted to be respectful an acknowledge your responses. THANK YOU.....
Old 12-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Deceased

Saw that you'd started another thread Alli, so I deleted that, and changed the title on your original.

Don't worry about being a newbie. Everybody here was new at one time.

Checking the fuses and relays is a good first step, and if the battery is showing signs of failure, your problem may be cured with its replacement.

P.S. to the forum!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Red face Another round at the shop

So I decided to go have the car checked by a dealership. Not a good idea at all. They just wanted to have Christmas on me !!! I did go by Advance Auto Parts. They ran a test on my battery and sure enough my "surface something" was not good and all in all I should replace the battery. So I did and drove it around town for a bit today. No problems, Nothing..... I also "pushed" down the relays and fuses as they were a little loose. I do need new spark plugs, serpentine belt, and was recommended to get a timing chain replacement.
Anyone have thoughts or think I made a good decision??? I appreciate any and all feedback....
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Yup, I think you did good. Those symptoms have been experienced by a few others, with the lights/instruments and all going wonky - and it was traced back to the battery being on it's last legs.

New plugs are definitely in order if you have never changed them (they should be good for 100,000 miles). Serpentine belt is probably about due if it's never been changed.

What was the reasoning on the recommendation on replacing the timing chain? and who made that recommendation?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 PM

The timing chain was recommended by one of the associates at the auto parts store. So far car is working ok.... keeping fingers crossed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering error but still have power steering???