Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Anyone heard anything more about GM suing Toyota over this problem or has someone started a class action suit against GM?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Autozone and Advance Auto Parts can't check for anything other than Check Engine light. O'Riely's can't do anything, they don't even have a scanner.

So I am hoping the mechanic that I use might have one. I mean the dealer charges to pull the codes right? Do the scanners that you can buy check all those codes as well? I thought I heard someone say it was like 80 bucks for the dealer to do it and I thought the price of a scanner was about 80 as well.

I don't know. I am just so frustrated with dealing with this.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 PM

Well I guess I didn't do a proper search. I do see other threads for power steering now. I think I included error or code or something and didn't seem them.

I see where some people have mentioned the problem can be caused by turning the wheels too far to the left or right.

The problem got worse after I did this. I had gotten to the gym and decided to see if I could get to the zerks on the driver side end link without having to jack the car up and take the wheel off....so while the car was parked I cranked the car up and turned the wheels as far as the would go the left and to the right.

It was after that it started happening every day and multiple times per day. Prior to me doing that it had only happened twice in two weeks.

But if its the motor over heating while is it still doing it even after sitting overnight and stuff. It has been 3 days since I did that.

And if it is the motor, I have seen others say they got the part for $125 and done the work themselves. Is there a schematic on how to do it, is it fairly easy?

I don't have a lot of money to be fooling with this and I am really hating the fact I got rid of my POS Hyundai now. At least it ran and was paid for.

I drove that car 8 years and have had less problems than I have had with this HHR I really liked the HHR too, and now its starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth, because I have no warranty and I am still paying for it
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Founding Member

Power Steering Assist Motor Replacement (Without SS)
Removal Procedure
1. Cover the carpet in order to capture any lubricant that may drip from the steering column or the power steering assist motor.
2. Remove the driver knee bolster reinforcement. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Reinforcement Replacement.
3. Note the location and the routing of the tie strap that holds the power steering assist motor wires to the steering column.
4. Remove the tie strap from the steering column.
Discard the tie strap.

5. Disconnect the power steering assist motor electrical connector.

Name:  PS1.jpg
Views: 5246
Size:  15.9 KB

Important: The bolts that secure the power steering assist motor to the steering column have a 12 mm hex head.

6. Use a 12 mm socket in order to remove the power steering assist motor upper bolt (1).

Name:  PS2.gif
Views: 5759
Size:  17.2 KB

7. Use a 12 mm socket in order to remove the power steering assist motor lower bolt (1).
8. Remove the power steering assist motor (2).

Name:  PS3.jpg
Views: 5283
Size:  17.1 KB

Important: The worm shaft spline and the steering column housing must be clean and free from lubricant before continuing the motor service procedure.

Important: Do not use any solvent based cleaners to remove the lubricant. Only use lint free cotton cloth or equivalent to clean the area.

9. Use a lint free cotton cloth or equivalent in order to remove all remaining lubricant from the steering column worm shaft spline (1) and the steering column housing (2).
10. Use a lint free cotton cloth or equivalent in order to remove all remaining lubricant from the power steering assist motor.
Installation Procedure

Name:  PS4.jpg
Views: 5230
Size:  14.7 KB

Important: Only use the lubricant provided with the new power steering assist motor. Use all of the lubricant supplied with the kit.

1. Apply the lubricant into the opening of the power steering assist motor shaft. Wipe off any excess lubricant that is not on the inside of the shaft.

Name:  PS5.jpg
Views: 5484
Size:  9.0 KB

2. Ensure that the NEW power steering assist motor O-ring seal (1) is properly seated on the power steering assist motor.

Important: The power steering assist motor should engage evenly and with ease. If the motor will not engage the steering column then remove the motor and try again. Do not force the motor and the steering column together.

3. Install the power steering assist motor to the steering column with the wire harness facing upwards and towards the front of the vehicle.

Important: Do not apply any side load to the power steering assist motor while torquing the bolts, or you may induce a noise or a vibration. If a noise or a vibration emanates from the steering column, remove and install the motor again.

4. While holding the motor in place, install and finger tighten the 2 power steering assist motor bolts.

5. Tighten the 2 power steering assist motor bolts evenly, alternating between the 2 bolts, until you reach the specification.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

6. Connect the power steering assist motor electrical connector.
7. Install the NEW tie strap in order to hold the power steering assist motor wires to the steering column in the correct location.
8. Install the driver knee bolster reinforcement.
9. Road test the vehicle and ensure that no noise or vibration emanates from the steering column.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Well my A/C guy had a mechanic friend who had a scanner and said he would pull the code for me free of charge.

C0475 Electric Steering Motor Circuit

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0475 in the PSCM
Check the connection between the EPS motor and the power steering control module (PSCM) by ensuring the harness connector is properly seated. If the connection is normal, replace ONLY the EPS motor.
So this harness isn't something I could have loosened or hit while working on the end link, right? Is it still worth checking and it is easy to get at?

At least I have some direction now. I called the dealer, the part is $104 plus a $40 core. So if I can get a deal on labor from my mechanic friend it shouldn't be too bad. How many hours of labor were other people quoted who had this work done? I know a few had the dealer do it, just curious what their quoted time was since I will have it done by someone else.

Thanks again for everyone's help. It really is nice having a place to ask these questions.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Founding Member

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0475 in the PSCM:
Check the connection between the EPS motor and the power steering control module (PSCM) by ensuring the harness connector is properly seated. If the connection is normal, replace ONLY the EPS motor.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0475 in the PSCM:
Right that is what I posted :)

So I guess its worth checking is what you are saying. So from the instructions you list this appears to be something you can do from inside the car, so before I post anymore questions I will get down there and take a look :)

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:39 AM

So its 79 degrees outside and I just drove 23 miles home from work. Didn't come on a single time. Going to work yesterday evening, 96 degrees...it came on before I left our neighborhood.

So it does seem to be heat based like the motor is overheating. I have been up for 23.5 hours so I won't be looking at the thing anytime soon :)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Founding Member

Run your a/c on bi-level, maybe it will keep the motor from heating up.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Run your a/c on bi-level, maybe it will keep the motor from heating up.

Tried that yesterday afternoon going to work, but it was 99 degrees here so wasn't much help.

Same thing coming home this morning. Drove 30 minutes, went to the grocery store, drove through the parking lot, multiple speed bumps, no issues. Temp outside was 79.

So if its overheating does it mean even if its replaced I could still have the same issue? Or is it overheating and cutting out because its defective? I did hear a click as if something cut off before the pop-up on the DIC.

One more night of work and then I can troubleshoot it tomorrow after I wake up.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Error Code