Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Questions about CEL O2 Sensor Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:37 PM

Questions about CEL O2 Sensor Codes

I now have a '09 2.4L LT2 HHR with almost 80,000 miles. (My other one was totaled in May when I collided with a suicidal deer in May.)

Today while driving on the highway the CEL came on. I stopped off at O'Reillys and asked them to pull the codes. Here's what they told me

P0138 HO2S Circuit High Voltage Sensor 2 (Bank 1 sensor 2 intermittent)
P013E HO2S Delayed Response Rich to Lean Sensor 2 (Bank 1 sensor 2) They said this one had been on 3 other times.
P2271 HO2S Signal Stuck Rich Sensor 2 (Bank 1 sensor 2 intermittent)

I am able to do a lot of repairs etc on the car myself and with a little research I'm sure I can figure out how to replace the O2 sensors if that is what the problem actually is. I know I should check the flex pipe for cracks. What other things should I check?

the big thing though I need to ask is I am supposed to make a 600 mile trip on Monday ---30 hours from now. I doubt very much I could get the parts in time to get this fixed before then. Should I cancel the trip? If I do go what risks am I taking?

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-25-2016, 12:09 AM

I may have an answer to the big question if I make the trip or not. If there is a question that the flex pipe is involved and it might be covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, it would be to my advantage to be sure before leaving on that trip. I'm too close to 80,000 to take a chance.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Usually the cracked flex pipe triggers code P0171. Now it is plausible the flex pipe has cracked , so yes get it inspected and the connection to the second O2
sensor or have them replace it when they change the cat con
Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Technical Moderator

Either a wire is bad or the #2 sensor is bad. That's the easy one to get to. The wire is fairly long and can get close to the exhaust pipe.

There is a tiny chance of a cracked Flex pipe, but you should be able to hear that.

The #2 sensor only monitors the condition of the Cat con. So, you should be OK.

Replace with NGK/NTK, I would stay away from Bosch, I don't know why there are 2 Denso parts listed, I think one is the #1 and one is #2.
O'Reilly's has for my zip:
NTK - Oxygen Sensor
Line: NTK | Part # 21043
$77.99 Each

Shop around; I have seen them for much less.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Usually the cracked flex pipe triggers code P0171. Now it is plausible the flex pipe has cracked , so yes get it inspected and the connection to the second O2
sensor or have them replace it when they change the cat con
Are you saying because it is the downstream sensor that is throwing the codes that the cat needs to be replaced or may need to be replaced? I'm not hearing any strange loud noises or hissing either so flex pipe would be less likely. I was thinking of changing the sensor out, clearing the codes and then seeing if the codes return. A local advanced auto has the NTK sensor that Don listed in stock. But I only have 119 miles until I hit 80,000 so if it might be a bad cat too then it may be a good idea just to go to the dealer.

I cancelled the trip tomorrow until I get this straightened out. Then of course the front end clunk will need to be checked out. But first things first...
Old 09-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Technical Moderator

IF the cat was bad and the #2 sensor was good you would have a P0420 code. Relax read what is written, we rarely write between the lines.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
IF the cat was bad and the #2 sensor was good you would have a P0420 code. Relax read what is written, we rarely write between the lines.

Thanks I'll take a deep breath now! The problem I have is that at the end of the month there isn't much left from the social security check. Also since I am so very close to the warranty mileage and if I don't choose wisely which route to repair I take, I may cost myself lots of $$$

I'll check to be sure I have the right size tool and tomorrow see about getting that sensor they say is in stock....
Old 09-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Technical Moderator

Tell me about the $849 SS check and living in a wheelchair.

You will need to borrow their O2 Sensor wrench kit. Jack the car up on stands. Check the wires first, could be just a wire laying on the exhaust pipe.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Ah yes we're on a similar page for sure sad to say.

Thanks for suggesting I borrow the tool and check the wire first. With my luck or lack therof it won't be that simple though. LOL I have jack stands, car ramps and some solid rubber chocks so hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:09 PM

Well the weather hasn't cooperated with 5 inches of rain so far and still coming down. I need the car so I took it to a shop that I have used before. It's lucky that I didn't try to remove it myself because they told me it was seized and they had a real problem getting it out. I've started it about 8 times now and the engine light hasn't come back on. So far so good.

Now I am going to read the link about things that go bump in the suspension. It already has new struts though.

Quick Reply: Questions about CEL O2 Sensor Codes