Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Radiator fan running at high speed from ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Radiator fan running at high speed from ignition

I recently got my radiator and radiator fan/motor replaced about two weeks ago because it was making a very loud vibrating noise (sounded like I was driving a diesel truck). Today, I noticed that about five seconds after starting the car, the radiator fan kicks in at a speed that I can definitely hear kick in. There is no vibrating noise like it was before I replaced the entire thing and the noise is nowhere near as loud. I wanted to know if this is normal. I never really paid attention to my car noises but when I had the radiator fixed, I’ve been way more attentive. Keep in mind the environmental temperature was in the 60s-70s F.

Also, if this helps, I also have a problem with my coolant temperature not being displayed on the dash and the engine temperature not moving up on the gauge in the dash. In turn, the A/C also does not work. I was told that due to my car being a salvaged vehicle, the car computer could be the cause of this. Maybe this is also affecting the radiator fans?

I just want to know how severe this sounds to be. Everything else is fine. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by j4moreno
Also, if this helps, I also have a problem with my coolant temperature not being displayed on the dash and the engine temperature not moving up on the gauge in the dash. In turn, the A/C also does not work. I was told that due to my car being a salvaged vehicle, the car computer could be the cause of this. Maybe this is also affecting the radiator fans?
I won’t address the noise or the fan running, but the other problem is common and only has a few solutions.

The first is the possibility that someone left a water sensor wire off(loose) when replacing the radiator which maybe causing all your problems.

The vehicle is programmed to disable the AC if the coolant temp is bad. The coolant temp may be bad because there is no coolant touching the sensor, possibly due to the system not being burped well after the radiator replacement - or the infamous bad thermostat problem.

Is the CEL on? Is the code a P0128? If so replace the thermostat. Just do a search for the P0128 if that is the code that shows up and follow directions. This is a common problem and easily corrected.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM

bring it back. i think he unplugged connectors and did not plug them back in
Old 12-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Welcome to the site. you may just have a thermostat stuck open.

When the engine does not reach normal operating temp with in a given time the computer will deactivate the gauge coolant gauge. It will disable the a/c and I believe it turns the cooling fan on.

You may have a code in the system for low coolant temp.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/temp-guage-flat-coolant-temp-21362/
Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

All good advice above, but since you just had the work done, if it were me....I'd make a beeline back to that shop.

HHR engine compartments are tight, and even people who work on them every day can knock a wire off, or forget a connector.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I concur, back to the shop !!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 AM

I have a 2006 HHR replaced the radiator fan. Now when I start the engine the fan starts after it reaches the heat limit then it does not stop. I replaced the thermostat still it wont stop