Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 AM

Red face A Stupid Question

I Have what some may consider to be somewhat common sense. But I Need to ask this Anyway. Would it be a problem if I Didn't replace the sway bar bushings or end links or even the struts (43,600 miles on a 2006) for some time? I know I have the clunk/rattle & dash rattle, But something came up that I don't have the ca$h to even purchase these parts, let alone have them put on. (If I was to try to do the work Myself, I would have More problems than what I started with.) Would that cause a safety issue? Would it be a performance issue, because it seems to be handeling ok.? I Don't Want to 'let things go', but in my case right now I am forced to wait a while. The dealer said they won't replace them because they are good, Not causing my problems, & Are Not Covered under my SAG Warranty.
Any Comments?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 AM

If the end links are not actually falling apart, then it's not a safety issue. I would just do them when the cash allows, you should be okay. Too bad the warranty won't cover the repair.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Thanks, That settles my mind to ease. I bought the vehicle pre-owned, as they call it, the previous owner bought it new in '06, I just financed it in February. The Only warranty I got was a 3 month 4,000 mile on the drive train. 100% parts & labor.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 AM

You've got an older HHR than mine and have more miles as well, but some of your noises may go away or be less pronounced come summer time..... The HHR doesn't like cold weather and they tell you about it. loudly at times. I have the "clunk" going over small bumps from the right front, but only during the winter...... Summer time she is quiet. Maybe yours will do some of the same.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Deceased

X 2 As Greybeard so aptly put it, HHR's do become more "vocal" in cold weather, just one of those endearing qualities that separate us from the mindless "commute-o-zombies" who drive Toyotas and Hondas.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks, I Did Notice that when the weather is colder, it makes more noise. When the weather is nicer it is quieter. That Would Explain the 'Does it for me' since it is cooler in the morning than later when it gets a bit warmer when the dealer 'tries it out'. I was wondering if the tire-pressure would make it noisier because it hits the bumps harder. I had the pressure at about 40psi., & the dealer checked & filled them to the Full 44-45psi. I know I had a 1997 Chevy Geo Tracker back in 2007 that when the tires were up to full pressure, the whole vehicle would bang/clang/&bounce over every crack in the road like it was about to fall apart. I just thought that was expected since it Was 10 years old, I Expected some noise, but with those being small & top-heavy it Really threw the vehicle around the road while traveling at highway speed. I Know the reccommended pressure is about 44psi., but would it make it less fuel-efficient & more un-even tire wear if they were a little less? (Not Too Much less, since they are the lower profile tires & May ruin the wheels if I hit a pothole too hard.) Just another thought I would ask about.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Deceased

Oh dear, when I saw the tire pressures you're using I nearly fell over. They are seriously overinflated, you should use the recommended pressures on the door sticker and nothing higher. Running them that over inflated makes them more likely to fail when hitting a pothole, and your wet weather traction is going to suffer among other things. Please drop them down to what Chevy recommends rather than using the sidewall's maximum inflation pressure, that's just what the tire can stand when being mounted in order to seat the beads.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 AM

Yeah, tire pressure would normally be around 32-35 PSI.... Check your door sticker and adjust as needed. That's way to high and besides the safety issue it would cause more noise.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 AM

I would take the car back to GM and tell them to shove it. If you have a warranty, no reason why it should not be covered.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM

Exclamation Correct Tire Pressure

WOW! I Just Dropped the pressure to what my gauge read to be 35 psi. That Sure Would Make a Big Difference, & I Appreciate the Correct information. The Dealer is the one's who Last filled them to all-around 'even' tire pressure of up to what my gauge just read close to 50 psi. (average 48 psi. per tire.) Now maybe the Banging/Ratteling will ease up.
I Do Thank You Again!
They Do Look a little Low Now, But I Understand they Are Not to be like the Truck tires that were on my Truck!

Quick Reply: A Stupid Question