Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rattle in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Rattle in steering column

Hey everyone.

I've read several posts that dealt with steering column noise, but the circumstances of mine seem to be different. Most talk about a rattle at slow speeds, but mine happens at freeway speeds (approximately 45 mph and above). It also only happens when the car is driving straight. As soon as there is a curve in the road and the steering wheel turns, the rattle generally goes away. The sound definitely seems to be emanating from the column and not further down.

I've tried applying pressure to the steering wheel to see if that had any impact, but it did not. The only thing that seems to impact the rattle is the position of the steering wheel and the speed of the car.

This rattle doesn't happen ALL of the time, but it probably happens more than it doesn't.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the rattle? Anyone had any experience with this kind of repair and the cost I might be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! search intermediate shaft in the search window, a lot of info regarding the possible rattle
Old 04-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Technical Moderator

Try the link in my sig.

Intermediate shaft does sound like a good place to look. Maybe tie rod ends. About 90% of the time the Lower Control Arm bushings seem to be the cause.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:16 AM

Steering column rattle going straight but not on curves

Originally Posted by jwbrookhouse
Hey everyone.

I've read several posts that dealt with steering column noise, but the circumstances of mine seem to be different. Most talk about a rattle at slow speeds, but mine happens at freeway speeds (approximately 45 mph and above). It also only happens when the car is driving straight. As soon as there is a curve in the road and the steering wheel turns, the rattle generally goes away. The sound definitely seems to be emanating from the column and not further down.

I've tried applying pressure to the steering wheel to see if that had any impact, but it did not. The only thing that seems to impact the rattle is the position of the steering wheel and the speed of the car.

This rattle doesn't happen ALL of the time, but it probably happens more than it doesn't.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the rattle? Anyone had any experience with this kind of repair and the cost I might be looking at?

Thanks in advance for your input!
I have this identical problem and before I sink a ton of money into trying to figure out how to fix it I'd like to know if any of you have nailed it. Thanks
Old 04-24-2020, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I did change the intermediate steering shaft, it did resolve the noise in the lower steering column.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, I did change the intermediate steering shaft, it did resolve the noice in the lower steering column.
Thank you sir. For the reply and the welcome. I'm not a mechanic but the intermediate shaft is what my common sense is telling me. Because this only happens when I drive or brake in a straight line. When I turn the wheel in a curve the rattle disappears. So I'm thinking something is loose and when turning the wheel it puts pressure on whatever is loose to stop it from rattling. I've read so many posts and everyone seems to have a different fix for the problem from intermediate shaft to upper shaft to frozen caliper pins. I almost went with the caliper problem but mine rattling while braking AND at highway speed so brakes can't be the problem. I have an intermediate shaft on order but I'm still skeptical. It's got over 200000 miles on her. I've replaced every front end piece except struts. It might be timr to send her out to pasture. Thanks again
Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 AM
Administrator

These trucklets are easy to work on so putting it out to pasture isn’t necessarily the way to go. Parts prices have dropped as they get older.
There are a lot of videos showing how to repair them in YouTube and articles on this site with how to’s , torque specs, part numbers and photos
Old 04-24-2020, 08:21 AM

Yeah. I know. Good points. If really hate getting ride of it. So far the drive train has worked flawlessly. And besides a few interior malfunctions and the front end chunks and rattles its been a great vehicle. I love the looks and the interior room. I'll probably go ahead with the shaft replacement. But if that doesn't work I'm gonna stop there. Thanks again
Old 04-24-2020, 08:26 AM

The rattle doesn't affect drivability but it is incredibly annoying. Especially if the rotors are warped, which they seem to be all the time. The uneven braking causes it to rattle even more. If the shaft fixes the problem I'm going to invest in quality rotors.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:54 AM

About the Brakes ..... Are you keeping the Rear brakes manually adjusted ??
It is Very Important.
When they are properly adjusted you should get 3-4 clicks on the emergency brake handle when it is set.
If it is more then that you need to adjust the E. brake cable until you get it to 3-4 clicks.

With that Mileage and the probability you have had them surfaced more then once, I would definitely consider New Rotors and Front Pads.
Personally I like the Stock GM OEM Pads #19157892 Rock Auto and Raybestos Premium Rotors.

Silverfox

Quick Reply: Rattle in steering column