Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A slightly more complex Key Fob Question

Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 PM

Question A slightly more complex Key Fob Question

As listed in the title - it's a complicated question.

First of all: '06 HHR LT with remote starter. Unfortunately, one of my key fobs (the wife's) succumbed to the dreaded "bad battery holder solder" issue, which essentially made the fob DOA.

After doing some talking to a local repair shop, they're pretty sure they can do the code thingy without having to charge me outrageous prices (though the local Chevy dealer is willing to do so as well), if I purchased a fob off the Internet.

I did so - and, upon receiving it, I realized I had ordered a three-button fob. Not the four-button with the remote starter.

The question is simple, though complex: can I have both a four-button and a three-button remote on the same "program" for my HHR? Would I have to make sure the four-button is programmed first, then, the three-button?

Or did I just buy myself a useless key fob?

And yes, I did do a search of the site for this question, and usually found people trying to use a four-button for a car that came with a three.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Panic + Lock = RS.

The car does not care how many or what kind if remote.

You could get just a case that has the RS button and put your new circuit board into it. The contacts are all on the circuit board, only difference is the pad.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Panic + Lock = RS.

You could get just a case that has the RS button and put your new circuit board into it. The contacts are all on the circuit board, only difference is the pad.
The concern I'd have with that is the possibility of a battery issue if I switch the new fob board into the old case.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself....couldn't you just take the existing FOB to a local stereo/TV repair shop and let them re-solder the battery clip? It takes longer for the soldering iron to heat up than to actually fix the issue.
It should cost nearly nothing to do, too.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by jwhouk
The concern I'd have with that is the possibility of a battery issue if I switch the new fob board into the old case.
What issue? The boards are identical. The insides of the case is identical. The only difference is the number of holes on the top and the pad.

Why are you trying to have problems? Don't worry, be happy.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Panic + Lock = RS.

So the remote start procedure would be lock, then panic+lock at the same time until it starts?

Just wanna make sure as an HHR newbie that I got that right before I try it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Technical Moderator

Yes. Must always be preceded by "lock". Exactly the same as if you had a RS button.