Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2011 HHR heated seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 PM

Angry 2011 HHR heated seat problem

I am doing this for my sister in law. She has a 2011 HHR. She started having problems with her driver side heater light flashing on panel seat not heating. She took it into her dealer where she had bought her car brand new around the end of January.

The elements were burned up and they replace them and it cost her $450.00. Got it back finally in a week and turned around and took it back the same day and the problem was worse. The heater never turned off. She thought she actually almost burned her butt because of the excessive heat. The light still flashing.

Got it back a week later. She drove the mechanic around and it happened again. A week later gets a call to get it.

Took off and the same thing. Light flashing and heat. That was on a Friday.She called them and told them the problem still going on. Took it back on a Monday 2 weeks ago. Got a call from them today and told her they couldnt fix it and they would talk about pricing for the NON FIXED car.

What is going on with her car that they are not doing? She loves her car and cant belive this is going on. CAN ANYONE HELP HER ASAP!!??
Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Technical Moderator

I moved this from "front page news".

She bought a brand new 2011 in January 2014?

I suspect she bought a used car, and there would be a sticker in the window by Federal law outlining any warranty.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, I had to edit it and make actual paragraphs so it was easier to read.

So I gather it's off the bumper to bumper warranty?

A no one here knows what the dealer has done, and as it doesn't sound like she is not mechanically knowledgeable, there isn't much anyone here can really suggest.

Other than have her escalate it within Chevrolet as per the phone numbers in the owners manual, or go to a different dealer.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Technical Moderator

I wondered where the P breaks came from.

GM 3 years/36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty applies to used cars.

If she bought it from a Used Car lot she should negotiate.

I really find it hard to believe that a GM Service Department said "they couldnt fix it". It can be fixed, but somebody has to pay for it.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 PM

She bought it brand new off of the Chevy lot. Its not under warranty because of the mileage.
I'm sorry its been there for 2 weeks and not even diagnosed YET!! They want to talk money before they "fix" it.
$450.00 was paid and they said it was fixed. AND its not.
My question was and still is has anyone had or has a problem with the heated leather seats?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Technical Moderator

A "BRAND NEW" 2011, no. A USED 2011 from a Chevy Used Car Sales Department, maybe.

Heated seats have failed before. Usually due to sharp objects puncturing them.

I think I understand they are stuck ON. Bad relay, about 2 minutes to diagnose and $15 to fix.

If you paid for a repair that was not satisfactory, you should contact the BBB and/or your State Consumer Protection Agency. The seller handed the buyer a piece of paper detailing the warranty, if any and it was stuck on the window on the lot; that is US Federal Law.

I suspect that we are not hearing the complete story.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Something is not right. I bought a used 2011 Panel in Feb w/40k miles and if this was my problem it would be covered under warranty.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by jp74301
I am doing this for my sister in law. She has a 2011 HHR. She started having problems with her driver side heater light flashing on panel seat not heating. She took it into her dealer where she had bought her car brand new around the end of January.

The elements were burned up and they replace them and it cost her $450.00. Got it back finally in a week and turned around and took it back the same day and the problem was worse. The heater never turned off. She thought she actually almost burned her butt because of the excessive heat. The light still flashing.

Got it back a week later. She drove the mechanic around and it happened again. A week later gets a call to get it.

Took off and the same thing. Light flashing and heat. That was on a Friday.She called them and told them the problem still going on. Took it back on a Monday 2 weeks ago. Got a call from them today and told her they couldnt fix it and they would talk about pricing for the NON FIXED car.

What is going on with her car that they are not doing? She loves her car and cant belive this is going on. CAN ANYONE HELP HER ASAP!!??
Good Evening,

I am sorry to hear that this has happen to your sister-in-law's vehicle. I will be glad to look further into this for her. Can you please have her send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with her full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership? Also have her reference your forum name and a brief summary of her concern in the email. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Well, to answer your question: "My question was and still is has anyone had or has a problem with the heated leather seats?" - yes a few people have had problems.

Can we help you with the problem with the dealer? - not very likely. A couple suggestions have been put out there already - I think that's about all that will help.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Technical Moderator

I'm taking a flying leap guess that this is a "buy here pay here" thing.

Jers11Panel, The 3years starts on the date of first titling in most states. I don't know how you could get a 36,000 mile warranty to cover a car with 40,000 miles, unless you are talking about the used car lot warranting the car.