Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > Rear Wheel Alignment - Tech advice needed
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #1

Member #: 1430
Check out my gallery 
Rear Wheel Alignment - Tech advice needed

I took the car to the dealer to get an alignment Friday and they found that the right rear was -0.11 degrees. The specified range is -0.03 to +0.28 degrees. They said that they can't shim it and get it back where it should be, that there is not a shim that would work. Is this true? So far I have been told that it can't be shimmed period by another dealer and my usual dealer is telling me that it can be shimmed but they don't have one that will work. I am concerned about tire wear. I have to go back next week to have another part replaced, should I make them fix it?
2007 HHR 2LT - Born 9/6/2006 - Traded 3-14-2009

dbfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #2

Member #: 7595
Check out my gallery 
I would try another dealer or 2 and see what they say

www.myspace.com/itschaboykenny
Wants
Year: 2009
Make: Chevrolet
Model: HHR
Trim: 2LT or SS
Kennys2009HHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #3

Member #: 7978
Check out my gallery 
Is this warranty work? If not, take it to a reputable mechanic and go from there.
Joshua 24:15
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #4

Check out my gallery 
The car is under warranty but alignments are not covered after the first 7500 miles. I would take it somewhere else but I have already been two places and at $75 to $85 I can't afford to be going all over town.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #5

Member #: 8170
Check out my gallery 
I also put my 2008 HHR on an alignment rack (83 miles on odometer) "because I always wanted to put a brand new car on an alignment rack" and found the rear camber out as well.
at least my issue was shim-able. I'm guessing that shims would make the tire lean more in the wrong direction, I wonder if they could grind down the contact point to bring the angle in a little
good luck
wysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #6

Check out my gallery 
The camber is within spec. The toe angle is what is out of spec.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #7

Member #: 8398
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfruth View Post
The camber is within spec. The toe angle is what is out of spec.
I have owned 3 Chevy Venture Vans over the last several years and each one has had the identical problem. Rear tire cupping and eventually constant noise from the tread pattern developed from misalignment. At first I thought I had a rear wheel bearing failing.
I have taken each one in each time while under warantee but because there was no technical bulletin with this issue they wouldn't do a thing for me. What a great warrantee program they have. Just cop outs.....
I finally took the latest car to a recommended front end shop and they shimmed and fixed it including a complete 4 way align for $85. Car runs true now and 15,000 miles since fixed with no cupping.
Remember I said three new vans with the same problem over a period of 5 years. No co operation at all. JERKS !!!!!
If you push the issue they might relent, but they will most likely say you hit something or what ever else comes to mind.
I would make sure the issue is documented on your copy of a work order describing the problem. At least when you have problems later you should have a case.
See if you can get them to determine if it is a bent spindle or a defective rear axle. Get that in writing also. If they say defective axle ... they blew it and you may have a case.

It never hurts to try but you may just have to bite the bullet and get it fixed.
Good Luck....
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 PM

submit to reddit