Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear Window Washer Leak

Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Rear Window Washer Leak

Just got back from a ski trip and apparently the washer fluid I added wasn't good enough or was too diluted to handle the 3F we experienced. Now when I try to use the rear window washer fluid leaks out of the rear interior panel near the access panel for the tail lights. Has anybody had this problem? Anybody know how to remove the interior panels to access the hose? Really annoyed at this point as I tried to avoid this and seem to have gotten bit in the worst place....
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Grapeape61
Just got back from a ski trip and apparently the washer fluid I added wasn't good enough or was too diluted to handle the 3F we experienced. Now when I try to use the rear window washer fluid leaks out of the rear interior panel near the access panel for the tail lights. Has anybody had this problem? Anybody know how to remove the interior panels to access the hose? Really annoyed at this point as I tried to avoid this and seem to have gotten bit in the worst place....
Yes, I had that one! You just pop the top brake lite cover off, take the brake lite bracket off, then you will see were the plastic hose exploded from freezing fluid. There is no easy pre-planned fix, just figure out a way to splice the tube. Mine was close enough to the fitting that I could just cut out the bad part and push it back onto the fitting and tighten it with a tie wrap.

Just make like you are changing the high brake bulbs, I think tahat is covered in the owner's manual, basically pop out, the a couple of screws to get to the tube.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I wish mine was that easy... Mine is leaking inside the car over by the passenger side rear window. Looks like I need to take all the interior panels off and look for a split or connector that gave way. Hoping to get some guidance on the best way to remove the interior panels.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Just a little hint for you.......

If it was the tubing that burst, you can find drip tubing and barbed connectors in the lawn sprinkler/plumbing areas of most Home Depot and Lowes stores. The barbs work very well when adding a piece of hose. Especially if the dealer wants, like, $50.00 for a preformed 10 inch piece of plastic.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks Snoopy!! I will keep that in mind when I get it apart and find what is wrong.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Just make sure the barbs fit tight into the tubing and try it a few times to assure you have no problem after reassembly.

I used this method on an 2001 Olds Aurora....front windshield washer hose (preformed and about 12 inches long) was $57 from the dealer. This tubing and barb is still working to this day (my kids have the car).
Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Technical Moderator

Removing the interior panels/headliner is a major project. Get one of those tools made for popping clips out, lots of patience, lots of time. Try looking at a parts catalog like gmpartsdirect has, you may be able to identify the where and type of holder downers from the blow ups (headliner is listed under "body,roof" I think).
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Then I would replace the windshield wash fluid with the one made for much lower temps..

Don't want to have this happen again..
Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 PM

Got all the panels off and the headliner loose at the back. Found the leak.... There is a connector up in the headliner that appears to be some sort of one way flow valve that came apart. Luckily I was able to find the cap and spring loaded plunger as they fell out of the headliner. Put it all back together using tie wraps for hose clamps and now I have a small leak around the barb connections. Going to take another crack at it tomorrow. Maybe silicone all the connections and get some better clamps. If all else fails I may just disconnect it at the pump and call it good. Living in TX we don't get many freezes and low temp washer fluid is not readily available. Guess I'll go with some rubbing alcohol next time. Never had problems like this before.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM

I just fixed the same problem. But instead, I removed that little valve (cap and spring were missing ) along with its rubber sleeve then inserted the washer hose into the the remaining sleeve and hose (hose sleeve hose).
Great!!
To get to the assembly just remove the center brake light cover, then the headliner cover and two headliner clips. the assembly is in the upper right hand corner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Window Washer Leak