Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reduced pwr, engine disabled, service traction/esc. yowza.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

OR even Canadian Tire.

If you have a multi/volt meter handy it's fairly easy to do a reasonable check yourself:

- before starting the vehicle and having it sat for an hour or so to let the voltage stabilize, measure voltage at the battery itself - it should read 12.4v or better
- turn on the head lights to create a current draw and measure the voltage again with the engine still off - if it is dropping down into the 10v or 9v range it definitely is low on charge or has a cell going south
- start the engine and measure the voltage again - if the charging system is working ok, you should get a reading of ~14.4v
..... if you can measure the voltage with the aid of a helper WHILE the vehicle is started, that will also help diagnose a bad battery as the starter puts a darn good load on the system. If it drops down below 10 to ~7-8V you could even be looking at a bad starter.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:57 PM

Yep started yesterday

Originally Posted by hhrparts
I have a 2009 LS with approx 715,000 kilometers.

It's been a great vehicle, without a doubt. With the amount of km's I have put her through, she's starting to put up a bunch of problems now.

Ever since it got cold (-15C or so), the abs light and traction control light have come on, and randomly i'll also get the warnings in the DIC for "SERVICE ESC" "SERVICE TRACTION" "TRACTION/ESC OFF" (i can't remember the exact wording, but it's close lol ) It's rather random, some trips, these lights will all be off, some trips they'll all be on. If they come on while braking, the car has a bit of a lurch. Feels like getting kicked in the back end.

This has been happening for about a month. I havent had time to get it into the dealer and don't drive it very often anymore. Using an '03 Savana van for courier work nowadays.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Took the HHR on a trip, and ENG PWR REDUCED light came on, CEL illuminated, and the hhr was completely gutless. We stopped at the next city and turned it off for about 10 minutes (googled the issue and couldn't find anything really relevant), grabbed some fast food, cleaned the windows, and then got back in the HHR and fired it up. No lights, no warnings, nothing. It was like everything was A-OK.

Drove for another hour and a half or so, and ENG PWR REDUCED came back on and the car was gutless. We were about half hour from home, so we kept driving it. Just as we were about 5 minutes from home, the engine died and the dash said "ENGINE DISABLED". we pulled over, turned the key off, waited 10 minutes. Turned it back on, ENG PWR REDUCED was the message on the dash, and we slowly limped it home.

Today I finally got some time to read the codes using a cheap code reader bought some time ago.
Codes are:
P2122
P2138
u0101
u0073

The first two would be related to the sensors in the gas pedal assembly right? I replaced the gas pedal assembly last spring though, which makes me think this may be more of a wiring problem? Any ideas?

The last two codes make me think it's the computer or wiring to the computer? Or the transmission control module?

Has anyone else seen these codes pop up in your hhr, and have any idea what the cause could be? shorted out wiring or loose connection somewhere? I'm thinking i'll be needing to tow it to the local chevy dealer.
yeah I just had this happen to me pulled in my buddy's drive way and it stalled no warning no nothing started it back up sounds like a drag motor in my car it idles funky at 1.5 hundred bouncing up and down with service esc
Old 06-14-2020, 09:58 PM
Technical Moderator

So your story is EXACTLY the same, including the fast food?

From what you added to the story My guess is the timing chain. Unfortunately, the original thread has not been active since 2017.