Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > Remote Control Not Working....
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

Member #: 19345
Check out my gallery 
Remote Control Not Working....

So, yesterday I went to unlock my doors with the remote, and for some reason, the remote is very touchy all of a sudden. The remote works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. It doesn't matter how close I am; I was standing right outside my driver's door and it still wouldn't work. But then sometimes it works without any trouble, and you wouldn't even know there's something wrong with the remote. So if it works sometimes, then it can't be that the battery (in the remote) is dead, right? Does anyone know what the problem is? Do you think I need a new remote?? Thanks in advance.

--------------

PS: If I try to unlock the driver's door with my key, the alarm starts going off. I can still get in and start my car (then the alarm goes away), but it's embarrassing when you're out in public. Is that defective? Is it normal for that to happen??

2007 Chevrolet HHR 1LT -Sport Red Metallic- 2.4L engine, Bright Chrome Appearance Package, Running Boards, Chevrolet Windshield Decal, Ruby Red IPCW LED Tail Lights, Draw-Tite Hitch, Ebony Interior
goetylsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #2

Member #: 4329
Check out my gallery 
Sounds like the typical bad solder connection inside the remote. Here is a thd on how to repair. http://chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22641 Now I also believe it is covered under the 3-36yr warranty and if that applies to you, take both your remotes to the dealer.
an08HHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by an08HHR View Post
Sounds like the typical bad solder connection inside the remote. Here is a thd on how to repair. http://chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22641 Now I also believe it is covered under the 3-36yr warranty and if that applies to you, take both your remotes to the dealer.
I have 117,000 miles on my HHR, so I'm not under any warranty at all. But that looks like that could possibly be my problem. Thanks!!

2007 Chevrolet HHR 1LT -Sport Red Metallic- 2.4L engine, Bright Chrome Appearance Package, Running Boards, Chevrolet Windshield Decal, Ruby Red IPCW LED Tail Lights, Draw-Tite Hitch, Ebony Interior
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #4

Member #: 13699
Check out my gallery 
And, yes if you lock with the remote then open with key anti-theft goes into effect. It's in the manual
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #5

Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrew View Post
And, yes if you lock with the remote then open with key anti-theft goes into effect. It's in the manual
Oh, I didn't know that. It caught me off guard the first time, I didn't even know what I did wrong. Then, the second time I realized it was because I was using the key. I didn't look in the manual though either.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 AM   #6

Member #: 19723
Check out my gallery 
If it's not the solder joint problem it could be the switch contact pads are wearing out.... there is a repair guide for this here on the forum...... I'll find the link after I wake up....

Where's my coffee?

____ ***** October 2010 featured HHR ***** ____

>> 2.4L, GMPP, Trifecta, Ground Force/Progress suspension <<
Greybeard999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #7

Member #: 14016
Check out my gallery 
Mine was fine until I replaced the battery..now it's touchy. Go figure... I must have broken something loose putting the new battery in.
1983 Chevy C-10 Scottsdale Pickup (166k miles) Built 4/83 in Flint, MI, Received 1/05
urbexHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #8

Member #: 19723
Check out my gallery 
Maybe, Eric, sounds like there was a problem with those solder joints.... they shouldn't break at all if properly manufactured.

Here's the link to the switch contact repair thread...... Switch repair

One or the other should fix your remote, goetylsd......

____ ***** October 2010 featured HHR ***** ____

>> 2.4L, GMPP, Trifecta, Ground Force/Progress suspension <<
Greybeard999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #: 4865
Check out my gallery 
Whew, I thought your TV remote wasn't working by the thread title.

That would have been a real tragedy.

Use one or both of the 2 fixes in the How To forum, or a new remote is needed.

ChevyMgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #10

Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMgr View Post
Whew, I thought your TV remote wasn't working by the thread title.

That would have been a real tragedy.

Use one or both of the 2 fixes in the How To forum, or a new remote is needed.
Yeah, I guess that was kind of a weird way of writing it now that I think about it. Oh well.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM

submit to reddit