Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Remote Start car acts like the car a dead battery, but key starts the car fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Remote Start car acts like the car a dead battery, but key starts the car fine

About a week ago my check engine light came on right after I started my car. The dealer plugged in their little computer and it showed I had a single misfire event. They cleared the code.

The other day the check engine light came on, again. This morning when I went to remote start the car, it would not start. I went out to the car and tried the remote start and it act like the battery is run down. The lights flash and the starter makes the clicking noise, etc, but it never turns the engine. So I climbed in and tried to start the cay with the key. It started right up. I check my other remote and got the same result.

I have had the car in to the shop two occasions because it would not start after it sat for three days. They've never been able to find anything wrong.

The car is a 2007 HHR 2LT it has about 11890 miles on it. I was using regular gas and had no problems. About a month ago I start back on premium gas. The last three tanks have been premium. I was using Shell, but there are none close to where I live so the last four tanks have been Chevron, Fred Meyers, 3 gallons of 7-Eleven and a tank of of Fred Meyers.

The dealer complained about my locking gas cap when he cleared the codes the first time, so I put the factory installed gas cap back on.

Any ideas?

-JJ
Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Has or is the CEL on now? If it is I don't think the remote start will work with it on.
When you say a single misfire event, was it a single misfire on one cyl. or a misfire event on with X misfires in one cyl. or again with X cyls. I find it very hard to belive it set a code with one misfire. Is the same code set now if so something is not right and I don't think its your fuel..
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 PM

CEL is on. AFIAK it remote started Friday and Saturday. I didn't make it to the car before my 10 minutes was up, so I cannot be sure. This morning was when I noticed it did not start. I watch the car from my security camera so I watch for the lights to flash and then come on. I noticed this morning that the lights did not come on...

It was a single misfire on a single cylinder.

-JJ

PS Just checked the manual, and in short, when the CEL light is on the Remote Start will not functiom.

Last edited by JJ_HHR; 10-05-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Looked up CEL and Remote Start interaction
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Won't work if CEL is on and usually about 50 more start ups or so till it goes off and it will start working again.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 PM

See this thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/cel-fuel-injector-18749/
Turn out to be a Fuel Injector.

-JJ