Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Replacement key fobs will not activate tpms relearn

Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM

Replacement key fobs will not activate tpms relearn

My 2009, I replaced the key fobs with some aftermarket fobs. Now I cannot activate the tire pressure re-learn process by pushing the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously. Without going to the dealer for the re-learn is there a way to add 1 more fob to the system that will activate the re-learn?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Technical Moderator

What do you mean by after market, exactly.

If you got the correct fob you would of needed to go to a GM shop to have a programming done. You cannot add or replace fobs without a GM dealer or a well equipped locksmith.

Use the search tool at the top center of this page, This subject has been raised at least 100 times.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM

I had the same problem with the remotes I got off of eBay and had the dealership program. They worked the door locks just fine, but after I put new tires on I could not set the TPMS sensors to the correct position. Brought it to the dealership and they spent two days chasing the problem down. They called in a regional rep from Chevrolet, he looked at the remotes, popped on open and said here's your problem. They got a GM remote programmed it and everything worked fine. I now have four remotes, the two GM, that will do everything,and the two ebay remotes that will only lock/unlock the doors.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Technical Moderator

That's curious, the one I got on Ebay for $15 works great. But, mine is GM and the correct part number.

May be that they are selling pre 2008 fobs, 2008 being the year that TPMS became mandatory. Correct P/N 15777636 without remote start.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

I wish more owners, especially new owners, would read this and the many other threads regarding purchasing aftermarket (non GM) FOBs from ebay. Many, many are finding out that it is a crap shoot if you are really buying a COMPLETE functioning fob from ebay. When you do find out, it is to late.

Somebody on here, can't remember who, purchased fobs from the aftermarket that absolutely swore they would completely work, they looked exactly the same, and IIRC swore they were from the same manufacturer, etc. After purchase and many hours of frustration, he and the dealer determined the fobs had a different circuit board and although accepted some coding, would not accept it all.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 AM

The ones I bought of eBay claimed to be GM, and if you put them side by side with the real GM remotes the cases are identical, even all the numbers on the back match up. It wasn't until the tech popped open the case that is was evident it wasn't GM. In the long run, trying to save a few bucks, cost me a bit more.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chmp64
The ones I bought of eBay claimed to be GM, and if you put them side by side with the real GM remotes the cases are identical, even all the numbers on the back match up. It wasn't until the tech popped open the case that is was evident it wasn't GM. In the long run, trying to save a few bucks, cost me a bit more.
You should report that seller to eBay.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chmp64
These sound like the fobs that I mentioned in the above post......including the same part number. If you were present when the tech opened the fob.....did it have a VERY SMALL red led on the inside? If so....yeah, I'd say they are the same "scam".

IIRC, the owner I mentioned was able to get a refund on his purchase, after several phone calls/emails, on the seller's premise of, ".....100% compatible...."
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM

I wasn't there when they opened them up, but I still have them, when I get home in the morning I'll pop one open and take a look. I looked for the seller and they are no longer around, probably selling under a new name.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Then why post an advertisement?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement key fobs will not activate tpms relearn