Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rough start/then dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 PM

Rough start/then dies

Hey all, I've got an odd issue with my HHR that I'm having trouble figuring out and hoping for some help. Sorry for the longer post, but wanted to include as much info as possible.

Left on a road trip yesterday and after 4 hours of driving, I stopped for coffee got back in and it wouldn't start. Well, it actually would start and then immediately died (like 1-2 seconds). Kept doing the same thing. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and tried again and was able to get it going, but it needed a lot of gas to get it stable, but once it was, it ran fine.

Drove three more hours and had to stop for gas, so reluctantly shut it off and sure enough, wouldn't start after multiple attempts, still no luck, same issues as before with starting and dying. I tried jumping it, and after a few tries I was able to get going again (same way) and get to our final destination.

Still same issues though, won't initially stay running, almost seems like fuel can't get to the engine, but if it's got extra charge, it helps and once it's running, it's pretty close to fine. It does seem slightly jerky though when it shifts from 1st to 2nd which never happened until this new issue. Check engine light also came on after first time it happened, but unfortunately my scanner is back home.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 PM
Technical Moderator

I will bet that the code will be P0172 or P0171.

But, it most likely is the EVAP purge valve (the one under the hood). It fails open causing a vacuum leak.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I will bet that the code will be P0172 or P0171.

But, it most likely is the EVAP purge valve (the one under the hood). It fails open causing a vacuum leak.
Thanks! How would one check to see if this is the case? Something that could be somewhat easily replaced?

I'm not super knowledgeable, but can handle my own with the help of YouTube/instructionals.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Technical Moderator

It lives attached to the driver side of the valve cover; one electrical connector and 2 air tubes.

The test is to remove it, blow into one end. If it is free flowing it is broken.

From https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-part-i-48833/

Purge Vent Solenoid -(under the hood) PV443 (Duralast/AutoZone). About $20.

Readily available from other sources different prices and part numbers.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

x2 what Donbrew says. Keep in mind that if the Check Engine light is on, most auto parts stores will scan your codes for free. Just make sure you get the actual code, and not a verbal description of the problem (as they can often make a mistake with the verbal).
Old 07-23-2016, 07:06 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah, that's what I was thinking on the code. I'll be away from the car for the weekend, but might take it to Oreilly to get it scanned on Monday. I'll check that EVAP as well and keep you posted.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:21 PM

Alright, so I had it tested and you were correct donbrew, it was code P0171. I tried taking the EVAP purge vent solenoid out but could only get it disconnected. It seems like it's bolted on to something else? Do I need to completely unbolt that whole piece?

After I couldn't get it off completely, I put it all back together and the CEL went off, but after a couple hour drive, it did come back on, so I think I'm on the right track, so thank you for the help so far.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:57 PM

Okay, got it off, and can't blow anything through it. Which I'm assuming means that it is working properly.

Any ideas from anyone else on what next to try?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 AM

Here's a post donbrew made a couple of years ago with some good info. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...95/#post748826
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Technical Moderator

Look for tube connections, all of them including the PCV. After you eliminate vacuum leaks look at fuel pressure, you can get a fuel pressure gauge at Harbor Freight for about $30.

There is a plastic bump that fits into a hole in the bracket, that you have to apply more pressure than you want to, to get it off the bracket.

Changing the fuel pump is a PIA and expensive, so try to do anything else first.

Quick Reply: Rough start/then dies