Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rust problem with rear door/fenders

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 AM

Exclamation Rust problem with rear door/fenders

I know there have been other posts about this, but I am wondering if anyone has any solutions as to how to stop the rear fender area from getting pitted, and chipped. I baby my 06 Daytona Blue Metallic beauty, but I've come to a point where I know I will need to have the paint stripped back to bare metal, have the plastic guards replaced, and have it all painted back to factory.

I see HHR's sitting at dealerships with massive rust in these locations already, and I really need to find a way to avoid this happening. I'm already looking at a good 500 bucks to have both sides redone, and I don't want to have to worry about the panels rusting out.

As it is, I've already ground down the seams in all four doors, removing all of the rust, coated it with rust neutralizer, and then put a rubberized coating over it, but what do I do about the rear fenders on this thing? Running boards are not the answer for me, as this car is themed, and running boards would take away from the customized exterior of the car.

Is there some kind of shielding? A special coating of some type? This car is my pride and joy, as well as a publicity tool for a haunted house I run. I love my zombie van, but I can't afford to have it repainted, and treated for rust every year. Someone, anyone, HELP!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

This has been a long-running item of concern since day one - and it basically boiled down to installing the running boards which were an option initially. In Canada, they installed them under a warranty item for those that had that issue with the paint. Those in the USA were not so lucky with the warranty if I remember right. But you say running boards are not an option for you - but they are the best "fix" - so..............

A lot of people also added mud flaps to the front that seemed to help, but they are not a total solution that is for sure. It's the design of the car that results in those fender chips, and is not different from a lot of other cars, that have the same issue, and the car is 6-7 years old - it isn't a spring chicken anymore.

A good alternative to the running boards is that clear plastic armour that is also used for invisible bra's to protect the paint on the front of the hood, fenders, and painted bumpers. Check your local body shop or a place that does window tinting etc. - they should be able to help you out with that.

Here is a place in Middleton:
http://tntwindowtint.com/clear-bra-paint-protection.htm

Re: the seams on the doors - you might also want to get some rust proofing down on the inside of the door seams.