Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Security light and bouncing gauges

Old 07-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Question Security light and bouncing gauges

So I have had an odd problem crop up. Before I go any further I have used the search tool with no success.

Anyway, so I was driving home the other night and something caught my eye, so I looked down at my speedo and every once and a while all the gauges would bounce to 0 a few seconds later the security light came on and the car "Dinged" 4 times. it seems to be an intermittent problem. I have checked the ground cable off the battery and the battery is in tip top shape (just tested). i have taped shock and knocked on the passenger fuse panel/BCM while driving and did not make a difference. I also did the same for the fuse panel under the hood and can not make them "Bounce" on command, seems to be completely random. When i had the car in the driveway whenever they bounced you could hear it out the exhaust like it shuts the car off for a microsecond.
Also there are no codes showing at all.

Anyone heard of this? My dad thinks that there is a bad ground somewhere but like i stated above the battery ground is perfect, could there be another ground wire somewhere causing this? Any help would be great.

Maybe Chevymgr has some input on what i should be looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Jon, VE3KVM
Old 07-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Technical Moderator

Chevymgr has been gone for a few years now.

Usually this problem is caused by the halves of the under hood fuse box being loose or not properly seated. Also the ground on the radiator support driver side, ground at the transmission below the fuse box. Also the big red wire connecting to the fuse box has been known to come loose.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Banned

Battery is how old?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Check out the suggestions in the previous two posts and get back with the results if you can.

How did you test the battery? A simple voltmeter won't necessarily give a good indication of the battery health - a "load tester" that checks the amperage output is what is typically needed. Any Auto-parts store can generally do that for you for free.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 AM

I'm not sure how old the battery is but i have a load tester that i use. I tested it 3 times and no major drop in voltage. Thanks Donbrew, I'll have to check those cables and see if the fuse box is loose some time today. I'll keep you updated
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

There should be a sticker on it that gives MM/YY. How old is the HHR, and have you changed the battery since you've had it?

If your profile is true, and it IS a 2006, if you've never changed it, That would be my PRIME suspect..
Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Technical Moderator

Just today my security light came on while I was driving, no flashing though.

It went off when I turned the car off. I had no loose wires. I will worry about t if it reoccurs.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Mine came on last Sunday for one start stop cycle, about ten minutes and two miles of a drive, I turned of the HHR at the store I went in for two minutes , came back out started the HHR the security light did not come back on, yet.
There were no bouncing gauges, but I had the lift gate open for 20 minutes before this incident, could have discharged my 4 year old battery just enough, I'm getting the battery and charging system checked, today.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:38 AM

So i just checked the Fuse box under the hood and all tight, the positive wire going to to the fuse box is very tight as well. i checked the ground at the radiator and also tight. I have yet to check the transmission ground but i suspect the same thing. any other suggestions?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:39 AM

and i tested the battery again today after the car has been siting for 3 days with no start and it's in tip top shape according to my battery tester.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security light and bouncing gauges