Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Security System Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Question Security System Problems?

My '06 LS has been in my local stealership for a week now for an intermittant start problem I ranted about on here a few days ago .They claim they first reflashed the BCM and key and car starts fine.I went to pick it up after hours and it wouldn't start.They called and advised it must be the theft module cause they got a code once saying so.The weather has been very mild during the day and chilly at night which is normal for fall.The car seems to start when its warm out and not start when colder.No regularity of either so it's harder to pinpoint the problem.I allowed them to replace the module and reflash keys again and still same symptoms! Now they are saying it must be the BCM needs replacing also! I'm like is there no systematic way to troubleshoot this system other than just replacing parts??I talked with the tech directly today and he says he can't send back an electrical part after its been installed and programmed.I feel like it's possible the fuse box connections could be bad as I've read here from so many posts.Does this sound logical to anyone ?? I haven't suggested this yet for fear of how bad this bill is already going to be! I'm about at my wits end and hoping someone might have some ideas. I know that it's hard to fix an intermittant problem but this is so crazy!!! Any input would be appreciated!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM

Really the only thing you can do is just replace parts until it is fixed. Just how it goes.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 PM

If it is truly temperature related, in other words "never acted up when ambient temps were warm, only when cold" even if it's not every time it's cold, then I would think connectors more than a module or computer. My reason for thinking this has to do with humidity and condensation that happens this time of year..... this would effect connections but not modules/computers which are sealed for the most part.

Which connectors? I don't know for sure. Being an '06, I think I've read the same posts you have concerning the fuse box and the connectors on the back side of it.... seems there were problems with the early models. I wouldn't put it out of reasoning that temperature caused condensation would aggravate this possible connector problem......
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 PM

I had this problem with my Colorado, especially in cool to cold weather, the doors would not lock, windows would not work, and even sometimes the radio would not play. I did have one ocassion where the truck did not start. (it was a 2005 model).I also had these problems whenever I disconected the battery, sometimes they would last for a few hours, other times a few days. Before I got rid of it, I had to replace the battery, and I started having the problems in the morning and they would go away midway through my trip to work, only to return the next day. The dealer never gave me a good explanation as to why it was doing it, don't think they really knew, but after reading about the problems associated with the early HHR's makes me wonder about GM"s built between 04-06.