Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

So I got in an Accident... Now Time to Repair..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM

So I got in an Accident... Now Time to Repair..

I live in Michigan. Michigan Roads, well, they suck.

Driving out the other night late after work and caught some ice. Slid into a ranger parked on the side of the road. and created this

Name:  TMvkXLD.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  725.6 KB
Name:  LPKUcDX.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  276.4 KB
Name:  yCQsP2c.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  728.2 KB

Sad Right? I just decided this January that I wanted to turn this thing into my dream ride (Not that it isn't already) I love the HHR more then anything.

So here's where I stand. I am in College and trying to work Full-time. I still live with Mom and Dad, (Cause I mean, free rent, why not).

I need to get this fixed. What is my best bet? I don't have multiple thousands to drop at a Auto Body shop.
Currently the car isn't starting, I know the Hood, Bumper, Fender, Headlight Assembly, and Radiator are all things I need in my shopping cart.

But I want to be Modding this car..
Is there a route that I can take that, I'd be spending the sameish amount of money on parts. But also make the thing look better then all get out?

I like the look of the car now, a body kit like the SS carry's would be nice but not a huge want for me. I was thinking about just painting the car with a Matte Car Finish. and installing LED lights. I'd like to lower the car as well. I don't want to turn this thing into something you see on Tokyo Drift, I wanna turn it into a Slick looking HHR.

What are you guys suggestions? (or Girls) Any suggestions on where to get parts? Tips and Tricks for working on the body?

I am 18, got this car when I got my license. It's a 2007 HHR LT. I've had it for 2 years and My grandfather bought it new before me. HE beat the hell out of it and I'v already replaced the front suspension/Struts and the Drive Shaft on the Vehicle. Thing Runs like a Champ.

Well untill this past weekend of course.

Suggestions? Hate?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Bummer on the 'bender' man.. You do have Insurance, right ?

This should be checked professionally to make sure it's not tweaked or cost more than it's actual value.

This will cost WAY more than a high deductable. No doubt there imo..

Then if Ins will pay, deal with the shop for the mods you want instead of stock..
Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Did the airbags deploy? If so, that will add a lot to the cost of repairs. From the pictures you've posted, you've got a considerable amount of damage.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Bummer on the 'bender' man.. You do have Insurance, right ?

This should be checked professionally to make sure it's not tweaked or cost more than it's actual value.

This will cost WAY more than a high deductable. No doubt there imo..

Then if Ins will pay, deal with the shop for the mods you want instead of stock..
Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Did the airbags deploy? If so, that will add a lot to the cost of repairs. From the pictures you've posted, you've got a considerable amount of damage.
What are the answers to these questions?

If your not going with insurance for what ever reason. Your best bet is to find one that was totaled due to a rear end collision and start swapping parts. But your still gonna be in the thousands. No way around that.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Technical Moderator

I hope that by "ranger" you don't mean Chuck Norris, that would be bad news. The eyes of the ranger will be on you!

Before paint, I can see $2000 in parts from the photo. Figure 4 times that for labor and paint, to put into guessing damages. I don't know about kits.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 PM

No Coverage :/ it's all on me!

I am right now looking at about 1,500 in parts, as of what I know needs to be replaced.

I do have a questions though. The airbags didn't deploy. However, I had nothing in the passenger seat, my little sensor said that the airbag was set to off. But Dad says the sensor that would have set off the airbag seemed to be impacted. Making me think that if there was someone in that passenger seat with enough weight, that it might set off the airbag.

So my Engine won't turn over. It sounds like to me that it's cranking, is there something in the HHR's computer that makes it so, when the airbags are set off it won't allow it to start? maybe signalling a fuel pump cut off? Electrical on the start up seems to work fine though.. Lights, stereo, everything is on, and cranks, but won't spark.

So did the sensor maybe tell the computer that the airbags went off, even though they didn't. Making it so it didn't start? Would disconnecting the Battery reset the computer?

I plan on patching it up for the most part, it might not be as structurally sound as it was when it rolled off the line, but should work for the mean time. I got a buddy who is gonna help me with paint. Should be able to go Matte black with a few orange accents for about 200 or so. So plus there

Last edited by TheeBallaDakota; 02-14-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Gramer :p
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

You talking about fancy paint.. The Subframe may be twisted.

How do you drive with No Insurance, especially living w/ your parents ?

whatever......................
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
You talking about fancy paint.. The Subframe may be twisted.

How do you drive with No Insurance, especially living w/ your parents ?

whatever......................
He might not have full coverage. So he is on the hook to repair his own car. But that looks like an expensive repair bill IMHO.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Cause College is expensive and I pay outta pocket. No loans for this dood.

I don't have full coverage on the car. So the repairs are on me.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:"So my Engine won't turn over. It sounds like to me that it's cranking"

You're saying it won't turn over but then you say it is. Huh????

Fwiw. No reason to even try to start it. First you need to get the hood up and check for any unseen damage. Radiator damage especially. That hard of a hit is going to leave a lot of bent and broken parts. Newer cars are designed to "bend up" or accordian,to absorb the impact.
One of the first things I do on an accident scene is to disconnect the battery. Even mild accidents can leave cut or shorted wiring. Best to thoroughly check everything out before even thinking about trying to start it.

Quick Reply: So I got in an Accident... Now Time to Repair..