Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering binding

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM

Steering binding

I just finished the famous steering shaft replacement to stop the rattle on my 2007 HHR. Before the replacement my steering was very free in the zone of the freeplay, now it is tight and has to be pushed right and left to keep it going straight. Is it normal to be tight until you get a few miles on the new shaft? I drove it about 60 miles today but no change. The joints on the shaft and the slider were tighter than the old shaft but could be moved easly by hand.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Technical Moderator

You didn't do something to the power steering motor did you?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I'm not aware of this type of issue. Double check your work, and the aforementioned EPS motor connections and fuse.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 PM

No the motor is working fine and the power steering works, just the steering seems tight like something is binding. I have removed the shaft three times and I see nothing wrong with it but the slide on it is a little stiff. I guess I will put a few more miles on it and see what happens. If it doesn't loosen up I guess I will get another shaft. That rubber boot just about whipped me getting it in so I hate to pull it again. I'm just getting way too old for under dash work.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Administrator

You didn't move the steering wheel and bind up the clock spring?

What is the part number for the intermediate steering shaft you put in?
Is it a GM shaft or aftermarket?

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-19-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 PM

No I didn't move the steering wheel. It is aftermarket and today the upper joint started making a crunching noise when I turn it so I have to assume the joint is bad. I have contacted the seller for a refund and I am buying GM this time. Is there a trick to getting that stupid boot into place? That thing about whipped me.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I just worked from 6 o'clock then up both sides till it popped into place.
I had a similar issue , my first ordered part was in correct. The HHR was down for three days until I got the correct GM part.

Just a suggestion for any members reading this, you get what you pay for, don't try and save a few bucks get the correct part!!!
Old 01-21-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I just worked from 6 o'clock then up both sides till it popped into place.
I had a similar issue , my first ordered part was in correct. The HHR was down for three days until I got the correct GM part.

Just a suggestion for any members reading this, you get what you pay for, don't try and save a few bucks get the correct part!!!
You are so right, everytime I try to save money it costs me in time and labor. The guy I bought this onee from on Ebay wrote me back and said he didn't have another one so he is refunding my money. I ordered a GM shaft and it should be here Monday.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Contact EBay and file a complaint!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 PM

Got thee GM shaft and it installed much eaiser and works great, no binding and no rattle.

Quick Reply: Steering binding