Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering column clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Steering column clunk

I took my car in last month before my warranty expired. One of my complaints was an occassional clunk from something in the front when I went over a bump. They had to order the part and I have not had it installed yet, so I do not know exactly what it is, but they said something like the steering column. Do we even have one, with the servo steering that is in our cars? Did they mean the steering box, or bushings? Anybody else have this problem?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Man, you sure have a lot of problems, Lee.

You do have a steering column....how else would the vehicle turn beyond the steering wheel. Part of it is under the dash, which is connected to the electrical assisted power steering apparatus. Then a shaft exits thru the firewall into the engine compartment. It joins another shaft, by a "knuckle", which goes to the rack and pinon.

I know of a friend who had complained of a similar noise and heavy greased/oiled the knuckle. The "clunk" disappeared. You might consider this...it costs nothing.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM

My dealer already has the parts and it is covered by the warranty.

Another problem which I hope they will fix is that the armrest on the drivers door cracked a few days after I took the car in for its last warranty work. I explained that I forgot to tell them that it looked like it was breaking, and obviously it didnt suddenly crack after I brought it in. He said he understood and would see what he could do for me.

And dont forget I still have the problem with the T/C code. Funny thing is that when it is lit, I still have my ABS brakes. Actually, I wish I could just leave it disabled without the car shifting rough. I dont really need the T/C, nor do I want it. But I dont like when the car shifts rough, especially when I go to backup and it clunks into reverse.

Aside from the above, and the battery being bad (finally replaced by the dealer) and the common front rotor problem, the car has been great. No-I am not being sarcastic. I am overall very happy with the HHR. The code problem began when I modified the car, so it is my doing (although there should be more latitude in the factory settings to allow for these small variations). The springs falling out is due to my replacing the factory ones, so that is also my responsibility. The brakes are cheap, but now they are replaced by me and fine. Battery was defective and took a while to convince my dealer that it was not due to my aftermarket stereo, but now it is replaced and working fine. The waterleak has to be found.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Lee if you do a search you will see a lot of guys have had a steering column fail on the HHR. Usually the symptom is a clunking noise.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Mine is doing that but there will be no warranty repair for me
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
Lee if you do a search you will see a lot of guys have had a steering column fail on the HHR. Usually the symptom is a clunking noise.
That would be my noise. If it is common, why no recall?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 PM

I think there is a TSB on it. You could ask Chevy Manager!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 PM

How do you get warranty when your odo is at 60,000?

Over the Hill Warranty Club member
Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
How do you get warranty when your odo is at 60,000?

Over the Hill Warranty Club member
Extended Warranty Maybe?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Accordin to the Service Manual, can be a number of things: 1) Steering column mounting fasteners 2) Loose SIR/SRS coil 3) Loose lock plate retaining ring 4)worn upper and lower bearings 5) Tilt joint lubrication 6) Intermediate shaft worn.

Quick Reply: Steering column clunk