temp. gauge stops working - Chevy HHR Network


Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-27-2006
Location: mn
Posts: 3
Angry temp. gauge stops working

2 times now the temp. gauge stopped working, so no air cond. then all of a sudden it starts working agian. in the digital display it just shows dashes no temp either! whats up?
nascarguy3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-20-2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,233
Images: 4
Never heard or seen that before. I would take it to the shop as soon as possible before the problem gets any worse.
txsman2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Deceased
 
cj krause's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-03-2005
Location: Sachse, TX NE Dallas
Posts: 2,359
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarguy3fan
2 times now the temp. gauge stopped working, so no air cond. then all of a sudden it starts working agian. in the digital display it just shows dashes no temp either! whats up?
on the temp guage, there is a connection in the front right or passenger side that may have just come loose. mine did and i just opened the fender skirt and reached up and pushed it back together.\

dealer should do it and it is a very easy fix.

dont know what to tell you on the a/c... dealer look at too
cj krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-30-2006
Location: Maryland Heights, MO
Posts: 9,262
Images: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj krause
on the temp guage, there is a connection in the front right or passenger side that may have just come loose. mine did and i just opened the fender skirt and reached up and pushed it back together.\

dealer should do it and it is a very easy fix.

dont know what to tell you on the a/c... dealer look at too
I think he may mean the coolant temp. I could be wrong, but that would affect the a/c wouldn't it?
GDZHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 01-27-2006
Location: mn
Posts: 3
thanks ill try to look for a loose connection and the a.c. works great when theres a temp reading thanks agian for letting me know where to look
nascarguy3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TX-HHR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-2006
Location: Mansfield, Texas
Posts: 415
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarguy3fan
thanks ill try to look for a loose connection and the a.c. works great when theres a temp reading thanks agian for letting me know where to look
CJs the man, he seems to have an answer for everything on these cars.
TX-HHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
john 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-05-2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 233
Images: 4
CJ or anyone else that has some information about coolant temperatures.

I just returned from 2200 mile trip in a fully loaded HHR. 3 adults, irish setter and loaded roof rack. While on the trip and on some warm days 85-90 degrees and in the West Virginia mountains a few times the coolant temperature reading went up to 219 but then came back down to around 190. I figured the fans kicked in but at times it just seems to fluctuate more than I would expect. The needle on the gauge barely moves so I am not too concerned because sometimes too much information from the DIC (Driver Information Center) is dangerous. Does anyone have some history on temperature readings and ranges. I have the 2.4L 2LT Thanks
john 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
Banned
 
captain howdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-14-2005
Location: Rochester,N.Y.
Posts: 9,155
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by john 11
CJ or anyone else that has some information about coolant temperatures.

I just returned from 2200 mile trip in a fully loaded HHR. 3 adults, irish setter and loaded roof rack. While on the trip and on some warm days 85-90 degrees and in the West Virginia mountains a few times the coolant temperature reading went up to 219 but then came back down to around 190. I figured the fans kicked in but at times it just seems to fluctuate more than I would expect. The needle on the gauge barely moves so I am not too concerned because sometimes too much information from the DIC (Driver Information Center) is dangerous. Does anyone have some history on temperature readings and ranges. I have the 2.4L 2LT Thanks
I have the 2.4 also. My HHR usually runs at 190 - 192 but I have seen it as high as 212 while sitting in a trafic jam on a hot humid day.
captain howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
TX-HHR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-2006
Location: Mansfield, Texas
Posts: 415
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by john 11
CJ or anyone else that has some information about coolant temperatures.

I just returned from 2200 mile trip in a fully loaded HHR. 3 adults, irish setter and loaded roof rack. While on the trip and on some warm days 85-90 degrees and in the West Virginia mountains a few times the coolant temperature reading went up to 219 but then came back down to around 190. I figured the fans kicked in but at times it just seems to fluctuate more than I would expect. The needle on the gauge barely moves so I am not too concerned because sometimes too much information from the DIC (Driver Information Center) is dangerous. Does anyone have some history on temperature readings and ranges. I have the 2.4L 2LT Thanks
I've had some overheating problems, but when everthings working well 192-202 seems to be normal and only slightly higher in stop-go traffic. Besides seeing higher temps on the guages another real clue for me that the car is getting too hot is when the electric fan has stayed on after the car is shut off. Hope that helps.
TX-HHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 AM   #10
jx3
Senior Member
 
jx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-19-2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 20,746
Images: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by john 11
CJ or anyone else that has some information about coolant temperatures.
The norm for my HHR is 192-196. On a few occasions it has gone as high as 202.
jx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temp gauge and a/c stoped working blue car Problems/Service/Repairs 22 09-04-2015 07:58 PM
Temp gauge stops at 180 ebritt Problems/Service/Repairs 21 09-14-2014 07:05 PM
HHR a/c quit working and temp gauge doesn't work rad1steve Problems/Service/Repairs 4 09-11-2014 05:10 PM
Temp. gauge not working jay loukakis Problems/Service/Repairs 19 02-22-2013 06:52 PM
AC Stops Working pkehr Problems/Service/Repairs 3 09-22-2007 11:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Copyright © 2005 - 2013 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.