Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

temp. gauge stops working

Old 07-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Angry temp. gauge stops working

2 times now the temp. gauge stopped working, so no air cond. then all of a sudden it starts working agian. in the digital display it just shows dashes no temp either! whats up?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Never heard or seen that before. I would take it to the shop as soon as possible before the problem gets any worse.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by nascarguy3fan
2 times now the temp. gauge stopped working, so no air cond. then all of a sudden it starts working agian. in the digital display it just shows dashes no temp either! whats up?
on the temp guage, there is a connection in the front right or passenger side that may have just come loose. mine did and i just opened the fender skirt and reached up and pushed it back together.\

dealer should do it and it is a very easy fix.

dont know what to tell you on the a/c... dealer look at too
Old 07-10-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by cj krause
on the temp guage, there is a connection in the front right or passenger side that may have just come loose. mine did and i just opened the fender skirt and reached up and pushed it back together.\

dealer should do it and it is a very easy fix.

dont know what to tell you on the a/c... dealer look at too
I think he may mean the coolant temp. I could be wrong, but that would affect the a/c wouldn't it?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:08 PM

thanks ill try to look for a loose connection and the a.c. works great when theres a temp reading thanks agian for letting me know where to look
Old 07-10-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by nascarguy3fan
thanks ill try to look for a loose connection and the a.c. works great when theres a temp reading thanks agian for letting me know where to look
CJs the man, he seems to have an answer for everything on these cars.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM

CJ or anyone else that has some information about coolant temperatures.

I just returned from 2200 mile trip in a fully loaded HHR. 3 adults, irish setter and loaded roof rack. While on the trip and on some warm days 85-90 degrees and in the West Virginia mountains a few times the coolant temperature reading went up to 219 but then came back down to around 190. I figured the fans kicked in but at times it just seems to fluctuate more than I would expect. The needle on the gauge barely moves so I am not too concerned because sometimes too much information from the DIC (Driver Information Center) is dangerous. Does anyone have some history on temperature readings and ranges. I have the 2.4L 2LT Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by john 11

I just returned from 2200 mile trip in a fully loaded HHR. 3 adults, irish setter and loaded roof rack. While on the trip and on some warm days 85-90 degrees and in the West Virginia mountains a few times the coolant temperature reading went up to 219 but then came back down to around 190. I figured the fans kicked in but at times it just seems to fluctuate more than I would expect. The needle on the gauge barely moves so I am not too concerned because sometimes too much information from the DIC (Driver Information Center) is dangerous. Does anyone have some history on temperature readings and ranges. I have the 2.4L 2LT Thanks
I have the 2.4 also. My HHR usually runs at 190 - 192 but I have seen it as high as 212 while sitting in a trafic jam on a hot humid day.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 PM

I've had some overheating problems, but when everthings working well 192-202 seems to be normal and only slightly higher in stop-go traffic. Besides seeing higher temps on the guages another real clue for me that the car is getting too hot is when the electric fan has stayed on after the car is shut off. Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 AM
jx3

The norm for my HHR is 192-196. On a few occasions it has gone as high as 202.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: temp. gauge stops working