Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temp guage flat and Coolant Temp "---"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Ok, so if you want a quick fix to this problem (which you may need if your air conditioner doesn't work when the temperature gague is acting up) all you have to do is disconnect your battery for a few minutes. THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT FIX! Take it to the dealer ASAP!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:19 PM

Don't feel bad that your thermostat went bad at 81k... mine only has 41k and is failing now...
Is there a gasket between the thermostat housing that you had to replace ? (had to do this on my old vette and durango, and always had to replace the gasket as well...) ??

Thanks in advance !!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM

I periodically get no reading on my temp gauge. It's probably the thermostat sticking as mentioned here, but it almost acts like an air bubble is caught in the system and occasionally gets stuck on the temp sensor causing it to go dead. It usually clears when I make a right turn into a fairly steep drive. Which has got me wondering if it really is the thermostat. No CEL either. I'll try draining the coolant, replace the thermostat and refill it with new coolant and see if that does the trick. It should hopefully also rid me of any air bubbles stuck in the system as well. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 PM

I just noticed the "---" problem today at 61k... I hope it's covered by warranty!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 PM

need help with thermostat

hey guys i just put a thermostat on my '06 hhr with the 2.4 ltr engine. could you all tell me what the temp is supposed to normally run. I don't do very much city driving if that matters. All country driving. Hey thanks to all of you I was able to install this with very little help from my hubby!! After I got the hose clamp of the large hose I didn't have to take the other hose off, advantage of smaller hands. Any help with this would be great. Thanksd in Turtletown
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Hey Donna, mine is the same year and engine as yours and is 97% country driving also. With the new T-stat I put in back in April it will stay between 188 and 194 regardless of the outside temp or the speed I'm driving.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 AM

Smile temp maybe too high

hey thanks for the reply. but i think i may need more anti-freeze then. mine is running about 200. should i check the level again. I have no leaks of any kind, checked that more than a dozen so far..lol just to be sure. hey have a great day. and this site is the bomb for a female do it yourselfer...
Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 AM

I had this happen today when I started home from work. I didn't realize it until I was already on the freeway but I don't have a Check Engine Light.

So am I safe to drive it to work tonight (24 miles one way mixed) so that I can drop it off at the dealer in the morning? (about 12miles from where I work)

I work 7pm until 8am Monday morning and then I go back in tomorrow afternoon at 4pm. So if I don't drop it off in the morning on the way home I won't be able to anytime soon. And taking my wife's van leaves her at home with our 2 kids
Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Went ahead and drove it to work today. Wasn't 5 miles from my house and it started reading the temperature no problem.

I have had the car off and on about 2-4 times and it still comes and up works. Now...heres another question. Is there any record in the computer of this failure and would I be able to have the dealer replace the thermostat while its working or do I have to wait for it to fail again.

Second question...I have a tune..any chance they would flash the PCM while replacing the thermostat? I would rather buy the thermostat and do the change myself than risk losing my tune.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 AM

Stryker,
It should store a P0128 code that would lead them to the thermostat, and a reflash is not necessary to clear the code after the repair.

Quick Reply: Temp guage flat and Coolant Temp "---"