Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM

Temp Sensor

Ok not sure where it went, so I threw it in general, switch if needs to go else where, sorry if it does.

Ok so wife got her parents 07 HHR. Has/Had issues, im working each on out and fixing them. How CEL is on, have it checked and just says not running at temperature. However there is enough coolant, so my thinking is Temperature Sensor?

Thoughts? Also location on this one...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Technical Moderator

T-stat.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM

i know inside the car, the gauge where itll tell you degree it just says -------F with CEL light on.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 PM

I had the temp. senser changed, ok for a few days but you really need to chang the thermostat.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 PM

im used to my explorer, way more room, easier to work on etc. How hard are these two things to change on the HHR?

Ill revive her yet!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

It's the thermostat - see this link for the procedure on changing it:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-save-%24350-00-thermostat-replacement-2-4l-p0128-24493/

It's not a big job to swap out the thermostat, but you do need to drain the coolant - here is a tip on the draining: the petc0ck (drain valve) for the rad is at the rear of the rad, at the bottom - on the passengers side - you can feel for it, but you likely can't see it from the top (had me stumped as well). Be careful with it, as it can be rather fragile as it is made out of plastic (ie: don't use waterpump pliers on it).

A lot of people here have encountered the same situation with the thermostat - there is a rubber gasket that deteriorates on the movable valve in the thermostat. Once deteriorated, it jams the valve open making the engine slow to warm up (normally the valve closes until the coolant reaches a specific temperature). That is when the CEL kicks in, and the temp display = ----F. You will also find the A/C is disabled. Note that the condition is intermittent, as sometimes it will warm up a little quicker than others.

But change the thermostat - forget the sensor for now - it's very doubtful it is the sensor.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Technical Moderator

Check your PM for some help.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM

yeah i noticed the a/c was out. but i figured that was because they hit something, the a/c cooler has a huge bend in it.

thanks don. i did check messages.

ill see if i cant do the t stat this weekend with a drain out. only fear is the space is small and my arms/hands are huge.. im big guy....
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Technical Moderator

It is tough on the back and hard to see in around underneat behind all the wire harnesses, but pretty easy. A swivel on a long extension makes it easier, be careful not to strip the pot metal when you put the bolts back in.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM

ill havta tackle it this weekend. its funny though, her dad gave it to us and told us that the mech told him it was this and that and blablabla he said since that CEL started to be on the speakers work sometimes.. haha.. so ima tackle the tstat and at least have that fixed.

what coolant does the HHR take? Van and Truck take Green, not sure on this one yet.

Quick Reply: Temp Sensor