Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Time to replace starter 07 HHR 2.4L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM

Time to replace starter 07 HHR 2.4L?

Howdy -

My '07 HHR is barely turning over. It has 115k on it and I just replaced the battery yesterday with a brand new one. I hoped that would fix it but I did measure the old battery 1st thing in the morning and it read 12.4vdc, so I had some doubts it was bad; maybe a bad cell though...

There is no CEL on at this time, although when I tried to remote start it it threw the CEL, but it went away after successfully starting it with the key.

Anyway, a couple of questions:
1. Is the starter solenoid typically included with a new starter?
2. Can anyone detail the removal/replacement of the starter? It looks like it's in the front, removeable from under the car. Looks to be a few bolts and a connector or 2.
3. Is there a relay I should check 1st, and if so where can I find it?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all advice!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Hey Larry, sorry to hear your having starter problems, I'm sure someone will answer your questions, there is a ton of knowledge here. Is this the first problem in 115k ?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Deceased

The starter is GM PN 89018113, any auto parts store can cross that over to their line of new/reman starters. Most if not all new/reman starters include a new solenoid, but it pays to double check. Here's a diagram of the starter and how it mounts, fairly easy to get to compared to some vehicles.

Before committing to a replacement starter, check all the fuses and relays in the underhood fuse box for looseness. HHR's have a habit of vibrating their fuses loose over time, also check the fuse box itself for secure attachment.

Check the wiring on your current starter too, things can loosen up or corrode in 115,000 miles. If you're still having the slow crank condition, its probably the starter pooping out.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Also check the battery connections. Sometimes a bad connection can mimic the signs of a starter dragging.
If possible, do a "draw test" of the starter on the car.
Remember that it's a long way from the engine compartment back to where the battery is. More chance of amperage loss because of a bad connection+ distance.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM

2006 chevy hhr 1lt starter

My car would have problems starting, until it finally wouldn't turn over. My mechanic says the starter was bad and was shorting out the battery. He replaced starter, battery and spark plugs. He said that a module needed to be replaced... otherwise, the starter wouldn't last. The module will cost about $1,000.00. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 PM

"Check Charge System"

Also, before the car was brought to the shop, the message "check charge system" would appear every now and then. I couldn't find what it means in the owner's manual. My husband did check the battery and it was connected properly.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Deceased

I'm not aware of any "starter killing $1,000 modules on an HHR", so I'm disinclined to believe your tech knows exactly what he's talking about.

The "Check Charge System" usually means that the vehicle has detected a problem with the alternator(output voltage out of range - too high or too low), so I'd take it to another tech or shop that specializes in auto electrical work and have the charging system checked out.

Other possibilities include a bad chassis ground, a high resistance in a cable causing the voltage to go out of range, etc.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I'm not aware of any "starter killing $1,000 modules on an HHR", so I'm disinclined to believe your tech knows exactly what he's talking about.

The "Check Charge System" usually means that the vehicle has detected a problem with the alternator(output voltage out of range - too high or too low), so I'd take it to another tech or shop that specializes in auto electrical work and have the charging system checked out.

Other possibilities include a bad chassis ground, a high resistance in a cable causing the voltage to go out of range, etc.
Thank you for your advice!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM

I did re-check all the fuses/relays, and some were a bit loose, but none too bad. I did notice the entire fuse box was ~slightly~ loose, is that normal? I'll re-check it.

I will degrease the front of my motor and check the connections on the starter. I do have a very small oil drip somewhere and it's got the front of my motor pretty dirty.

If I have to replace the starter, I presume these are the steps:

1. raise the front end
2. disconnect the battery
3. undo connections to the starter
4. unscrew the 2 starter bolts
5. reverse the above w/new starter
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Deceased

Yup, that's the procedure in a nut shell, having never done a starter on an HHR I can't tell you if there might be shims between the starter and the block. When you remove the starter, check for a shim or shims(they'll look like a gasket more than anything), if there are any....make sure you re-use them when installing the replacement.

As to the fuse box, they are not the most sturdy things in the world so a slightly loose feeling is normal, but if its flopping about...that's a problem.

Quick Reply: Time to replace starter 07 HHR 2.4L?