Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > timing chain replacement
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Member #: 23068
Check out my gallery 
timing chain replacement

HI,
I am getting set to do a timing chain replacement on my 2006 hhr 2.4.
403,000km or just a bit over 250,000miles. Can this be done with the engine in the car or do I have to pull the motor. I do have a 2 post lift in the garage so either is possible but I prefer not to pull the motor unless I have to do more such as crank bearings.(hoping not to go that deep as its not burning a drop of oil yet between changes.

Has anyone ever heard of having to change the balance shaft chain, or do you think its safe to leave as is.
Thanks
Dale
dnutbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #2

Member #: 46840
Check out my gallery 
This is from a Cobalt site and maybe some help to you. http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...ing-chain.html
wmsburghhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

Member #: 57495
Check out my gallery 
You don't have to drop the engine but you need to lower it. Which it does make the job harder if you leave it in just because the lack of room. Change all changes and guides and etc . Do it right the first time!

Takes care
rpt ccss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

Member #: 24127
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnutbrown View Post
HI,
I am getting set to do a timing chain replacement on my 2006 hhr 2.4.
403,000km or just a bit over 250,000miles. Can this be done with the engine in the car or do I have to pull the motor. I do have a 2 post lift in the garage so either is possible but I prefer not to pull the motor unless I have to do more such as crank bearings.(hoping not to go that deep as its not burning a drop of oil yet between changes.

Has anyone ever heard of having to change the balance shaft chain, or do you think its safe to leave as is.
Thanks
Dale
I hope things are going smoothly as you are doing this to your HHR. This seems like a pretty touchy project. I wish you the best as you do the change. I look forward to any updates or pictures you would like to share.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
ChevroletCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Member #: 23068
Check out my gallery 
Still have not done it. But I just picked up a replacement motor to swap in soon as I get a chance. Picked up a 2.4 le5 from another 2006 with 65,000 km or 40k miles for $400. Should get me and the car well up past 500,000 km or 600,000.
Dale
dnutbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

Member #: 5036
Check out my gallery 
Holy smackers, thats getting up there. Ive heard the tensioner and guides usually go before the chain.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM

submit to reddit