Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 AM

Tire pressure monitoring system

Hi,
I have an '08 that has been back to the dealer (3) times (within the month) for this system dropping out one or more pressure readings from each corner of the car. It always drops out the RR. Even after I had the tires rotated (I did see them do this), the RR drops out about every 3 or 4 days!!! It goes out for about 10 to 15 minutes then the reading comes back!!! This is very frustrating!!!! Anyone have any ideas??!!

Thanks,
Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 AM

Get the dealer to change the TPM. My '08 HHR SS RR TPM needed it also. It's a warranty thing.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM

Do you mean replace the sensors in the wheels or the unit that is inside the car? My guess is that the tire sensors themselves are not the problem, but the receiving unit. Sorry for the "non-technical" wording, not up to date with all the technology that is in the car.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Founding Member

The RCDLR, which receives the data from the sensors is losing the RF (radio frequency) signal from your RR tire/wheel.

Have you added anything electronic to the vehicle?

Did a dealership rotate the tires? If yes or no did the shop/person that rotated the tires reprogram the sensors to their new locations? If a reprogram is not done after a tire rotation, whatever location that the RR tire was put is still the RR tire on your DIC no matter if it is now on the RF or LF.

Possibilities: 1) The RR TPS is bad (if it was not reprogrammed to it's new location after tire rotation). 2) The BCM needs to be reprogrammed or replaced. 3) The RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) needs to be reprogrammed or replaced.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 PM

Yes, the dealership DID rotate the tires. No, I did not add anything electronics to the car. They rotated the tires again today to see if they could get the system to read a drop out or not. I just got off the phone with the service manager, he said that he could not replace the module because he can't get the reading to drop out like it has been!!! He wants to keep it for another day to see if he can see the failure for himself!! This is the third time in a month with this problem!!! Not fixed yet!!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 PM

kestrel0222, Listen to ChevyMgr...he's the man .
Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Y'all thanks for the info. I've not only have the same problem with Eric's HHR SS, I've been back and forth to have the tires filled with Nitrogen b/c thought it may have been off too.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by kestrel0222
Yes, the dealership DID rotate the tires. No, I did not add anything electronics to the car. They rotated the tires again today to see if they could get the system to read a drop out or not. I just got off the phone with the service manager, he said that he could not replace the module because he can't get the reading to drop out like it has been!!! He wants to keep it for another day to see if he can see the failure for himself!! This is the third time in a month with this problem!!! Not fixed yet!!
Sorry you are having this problem. I'm not sure what they expected to happen by re-rotating the tires. Hopefully they put them back to where they were. Anything I state on this forum will never be seen as useful to other dealers (ego problems) and stating you read it on a forum will only get an "eye roll" from them (sorry but blame the corvette forums for that). I wish I could help you more but distance between you and I are too great to make that possible.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 PM

The last time that I brought it in for this problem, they did reprogram my key fob. They said they had to upgrade the software for the module.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by kestrel0222
The last time that I brought it in for this problem, they did reprogram my key fob. They said they had to upgrade the software for the module.
The key fobs and the TPS use the same module.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitoring system