Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > transmission fluid level
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Member #: 14223
Check out my gallery 
transmission fluid level

2007 lt hhr....how do i know if the transmission fluid level is correct? i changed the fluid by dropping the pan, changed filter and refilled.....the amount i refilled was determined by the amount i drained. i measured that amount to be about 7 1/2 quarts so i refilled it with 7 1/2 quarts. the question is.......how do i know what the level is supposed to be....by sight thru the fill or by measuring ? how ??? anyone know ???
wgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Member #: 25764
Check out my gallery 
Checking the Transmission Fluid
# It is important to check the fluid level only after the fluid has circulated throughout the transmission by shifting through the gears. Failing to allow the fluid to circulate will result in a false fluid level reading. Turn the engine on and shift through each of the transmission's gears with the brake pedal depressed and the parking brake applied. The car should be allowed to idle in each gear position for approximately five seconds. Turn the engine off, then climb underneath the passenger's side of the vehicle. A small plug is located on the passenger's side of the transmission. Remove this plug with a wrench. Turn the engine on and observe whether any fluid drips out of the transmission plug's opening. If fluid does begin to drip from the plug opening, the transmission does not require additional fluid. Turn the engine off and install the transmission plug.

Read more: How Do I Check the Transmission Fluid on a Chevy HHR? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5988488_do-t...#ixzz1C4Utmqto

Brian
08 HHR 2LT
bk94si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

Member #: 14223
Check out my gallery 
thanks, appreciated !
wgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Member #: 14820
Check out my gallery 
Wonder how much it really costs to install a dip stick to check Tranmsission fluid levels? I sure don't see the current method for checking fluid levels as an improvement!
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Member #: 13080
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
Checking the Transmission Fluid
# It is important to check the fluid level only after the fluid has circulated throughout the transmission by shifting through the gears. Failing to allow the fluid to circulate will result in a false fluid level reading. Turn the engine on and shift through each of the transmission's gears with the brake pedal depressed and the parking brake applied. The car should be allowed to idle in each gear position for approximately five seconds. Turn the engine off, then climb underneath the passenger's side of the vehicle. A small plug is located on the passenger's side of the transmission. Remove this plug with a wrench. Turn the engine on and observe whether any fluid drips out of the transmission plug's opening. If fluid does begin to drip from the plug opening, the transmission does not require additional fluid. Turn the engine off and install the transmission plug.

Read more: How Do I Check the Transmission Fluid on a Chevy HHR? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5988488_do-t...#ixzz1C4Utmqto
Mind you I have not done this myself I am only repeating what other threads have said. DO NOT follow the above directions. They will get you a good amount of hot fluid in the face.

My understanding is the engine should not be turned off at all when checking the level. As once the engine is turned off the transmission fluid drains from above the check level hole and will come out. Only remove the plug with the engine running and replace plug before turning off the engine.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

Member #: 3572
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno White View Post
Mind you I have not done this myself I am only repeating what other threads have said. DO NOT follow the above directions. They will get you a good amount of hot fluid in the face.

My understanding is the engine should not be turned off at all when checking the level. As once the engine is turned off the transmission fluid drains from above the check level hole and will come out. Only remove the plug with the engine running and replace plug before turning off the engine.
This is correct. There isn't any need to check though unless you have changed the fluid or find evidence of a leak.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #7

Member #: 14016
Check out my gallery 
Dumb..it should just have a dipstick. Just goes to show that cars are more and more disposable....
1983 Chevy C-10 Scottsdale Pickup (166k miles) Built 4/83 in Flint, MI, Received 1/05
urbexHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM

submit to reddit