Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Transmission Hard Shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Transmission Hard Shift

Hi Group,

My traction control light goes on and my 2006 HHR starts to hard shift (jerk) into the next gear, regardless of what speed I am driving. I was trying to find out what was wrong and happened upon a GM Mechanic that told me it is the: Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid

The Mechanic said he would not do it and it would be best to take it to the dealer since it requires the transmission to be removed and the solenoid replaced. He estimated 2 days and $1500, with the caveat that it may be higher depending on which dealer I took it to be repaired. He said the actual part is not expensive it is tearing out the transmission, opening it up and replacing the solenoid that is the costly part.

He also stated that a transmission shop would be able to do it but warned to find a transmission shop that works on Chevy's or has done similar repairs in the past.

If anyone has replaced one on their own, please let me know; or if you have had this replaced.

Thank you,
Nani
Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Moved to it's own separate thread rather than hijack one about the Camshaft Position actuator Solenoids.

Posting the error Code, rather than a description of the advised fix really helps the members here confirm you are heading in the right direction.

Are you asking if it is something you can do yourself? I am assuming you have never torn an automatic transmission down and rebuilt one? Unless you are very familiar with doing so, and are properly trained - no, don't even think about it. It's a job for the professionals, and any GM dealer or half decent transmission shop should be able to handle it quite well.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Technical Moderator

Seems kind of silly to spend lots of time and money on advice from somebody walking down the street who has not even looked at the car.

But it's your time and money, go for it!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:39 PM

In searching for a good mechanic in Columbus, OH; since I am new here. I was referred to the GM guy. No, didn't find him walking down the street. He did look at the car and I am scheduled to go back to get the codes; I didn't have time to get it done at that time.

I read your how-to on the Intake/Exhaust Solenoid (Whopper), that is what I was looking for!! Sorry, if I was not clear on my original thread. I was hoping it was not the transmission solenoid and if anyone else had the issue and found another solution. I found the parts for less than $30 each with $10 shipping; stated Dorman part, we will see.

Thank you Whopper again for the instructions!!

Note: Yes, to stay out of trouble became a gear-head in So-Cal growing up. Rebuilt engines, trannys, etc. throughout the years. I own a few classics still, not familiar with the new cars but, willing to learn. Boyfriend back in Cali is a gear-head but too far and only works on classics.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Hold on a minute............. I've having a hard time determining what you are about to do - are you about to replace the Intake/Exhaust Solenoids????

If so be aware that hard/abrupt shifting can be caused by a WHOLE mess of things other than the solenoids. The solenoids are just a couple parts on a LONG list of other items that can cause the same symptoms.

You could be about to just waste your $'s replacing them if they are not the cause of the issues.

Get the codes downloaded and post them here for further advice/info, and hopefully we can help you out. Most autoparts stores will read the codes for free - just make sure to get the codes, and not the verbal description they might give.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 PM

Wopper is right, there are many things that can cause the traction control light to come on and cause abrupt shifts.

My '06 does not have traction control but a while back I decided it was time to put new sparkplugs and wires on my buggy. Its not a hard job to do just a little time consuming. There is a heat shield on the exhaust that had rusted to the point that it was no longer attached correctly so I had to fix that too.

I probably could have left it as it did not make any noise that I could hear when driving but knowing it was flapping in the breeze bothered me. Naturally I broke the bolt that held it so I ended up removing the exhaust manifold to drill it out.

I had my concerns that more of the bolts would break but I was lucky and none did. I could not find a new or good used heat shield so I repaired the old one and put it back on the car.

Again not a particularly hard job just a bit more frustration and took more time.

When I finished the job and buttoned everything up the car started and ran just fine but I had stiff and abrupt shifting. I thought for sure I had somehow damaged something when I had the exhaust off.

It turned out I had forgotten to plug in the MAF sensor, once that was plugged in again every thing was fine.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:31 AM

Yes, I am waiting for the codes to find out which item to be replaced. Just like to get pricing to find out what I need to budget. It seemed a little on the low end for pricing compared to what the other threads were saying.

Also, agreed "grizzly"; last year my car was towed after an accident and the tow truck driver must have gone 4-wheeling. My oil pan had a large gash and since then, my muffler has been making noise. The hard shifting was a symptom before the tow truck, sadly!!

After I get the codes, I will know the pricing if it is the transmission solenoid, intake/exhaust solenoid, muffler, etc. That way, I can budget for each item or all of it if required. Not one to throw money at a problem but I do get pricing and budget to make sure I have a plan.

The instructions on changing the items I can change is what I was looking for. Understanding that if someone with expertise on the HHR states to take it to someone, I will. That is what you stated in your thread when you were giving instructions on how to replace solenoids.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Just an observation, but I seem to recall that the 2006 HHR 2.2 does not have actuator solenoids.
Since the OP did not include their engine size info, it would be hard to offer any legit advice on the solution.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Technical Moderator

2.4 does.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:39 PM

Sorry it has been a while, family emergency.
Here are the codes and description the tech gave me:
P0011 - intake cam, P0106 - map press, P0300 - engine misfire, P0327 - knock sensor 1, P1174 - fuel trim balance
There is an exhaust leak that is being repaired tomorrow but, have no clue about the codes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated; thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: Transmission Hard Shift