Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Turn signal problem

Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Question Turn signal problem

Hey all,

I own a 2009 1LT and when i push the turn arm down for left signal
-arm locks as if blinker is activated
-left signal does not blink
-blinks during constant down pressure of the turn signal stalk

Its almost like the arm is not locking in a position that is far enough down to activate the left turn signal.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Are you sure the lights are in fact blinking when you hold it down? Thinking burned out bulb....

If they do blink then switch problem, although the typical problem is not turning off after the turn is completed.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Are you sure the lights are in fact blinking when you hold it down? Thinking burned out bulb....
Sounds as if dash lights are working properly, so if a bulb is the problem, then rapid blinking would be observed.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Okay...... I've yet to burn out a bulb.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Technical Moderator

I'm not sure, but if both bulbs are burned out maybe? But in any case Dealer issue probably.
Don
Theta Delta Chi
Hokie '74
Old 12-30-2013, 09:24 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having exactly the same problem as HokieHHR.

A few days ago my 2009 2LT developed a problem with the left turn signal. It works normally sometimes, and other times I have to exert downward pressure on the lever to keep it blinking. It has been getting worse, and now today the right signal is doing the same thing (but not as often, yet). The lever locks in the down (or up) position properly, and it releases when the wheel is turned and then straightened out again. Sometimes the signal continues blinking after I release the pressure, but most of the time I have to keep the pressure on for the left signal to keep working. As I said, the right isn't as bad yet and usually will continue after I release the extra pressure. But then, the left signal was doing the same thing a couple of days ago, and now I have to push harder and usually it will stop blnking if I stop pushing.

I'm posting this in the hope that HokieHHR or someone else will have more information on this by now. I assume the problem is in the switch, and since I can get a new AC Delco OEM switch from amazon.com for about $25 I'm thinking of just replacing it myself.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM

It sure sounds like the switch is failing. You can disassemble the switch and maybe clean the contacts but for 25.00 I think I would just replace it.
Just for giggles make sure all you outside lights are working before you tear it to it too far.
Use the search box at the top of the page and you will find the procedure for removing the switch.

And welcome to the site
Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 PM

Here is a good post with pic's. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/turn-signal-canceling-failure-fix-lots-pics-37992/
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 PM

All the exterior and interior lights are working; everything blinks that should be be blinking. I've also found that pushing inward on the end of the lever and wiggling it a little sometimes makes it work a little better. It really does appear to be the switch. I think I'll get the new switch. If I can fix the old one, then I'll keep the new one as a spare in case the fix doesn't last.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Thanks, Lucky. That will be a big help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal problem