Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Upper Storage Compartment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:10 AM

Upper Storage Compartment Issues

I did try searching for some information about this problem to no avail...

I know it is trivial, but it is annoying. The upper storage compartment is one of the handiest things I've ever had in a car. The problem is, sometimes it takes 10 tries before it opens, and sometimes it opens first time.

Is there some sort of Jedi mind trick I need to use to work it right, or is this just the way it has been designed (pushing down to open, but it needs to open away from the application of pressure)? Anyone else experience this?

I know it's small, but I feel like an idiot when I pull into the gas station and start jabbing away at the top of my dash to get my wallet out!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 AM

I have never had an issue with mine. I use it almost every day. I keep my contractors badge in there to gain access to the base. It's opened every morning on my way in. Have always had to hit the botton once.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:32 AM

Same problem here. Just keep trying till it opens.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Maybe it needs to be adjusted, is the latch sticky, mine works fine
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 AM

How much stuff do you have in there and is it getting in the way off the latch? I know I put some napkins in there and they tend to get in the way sometimes. I use it so much I need to clean the extra stuff so I can get to my mileage book and pen when I need them.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by krishaynes
I did try searching for some information about this problem to no avail...

I know it is trivial, but it is annoying. The upper storage compartment is one of the handiest things I've ever had in a car. The problem is, sometimes it takes 10 tries before it opens, and sometimes it opens first time.

Is there some sort of Jedi mind trick I need to use to work it right, or is this just the way it has been designed (pushing down to open, but it needs to open away from the application of pressure)? Anyone else experience this?

I know it's small, but I feel like an idiot when I pull into the gas station and start jabbing away at the top of my dash to get my wallet out!
Mine had a similar problem, Have them replace the latching mechnism and it will fix it.. On second thought I think they may have replaced the whole top portion. Hope this helps..
Old 06-22-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the replies

I don't have too much stuff in there - just my wallet usually. As the car is still so new (only 2500km on it) I may take a "wait and see" and see approach to give the latch time to work in a bit more, but if it continues, it sounds like I need to get the thing replaced.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM

Same issue here, but it's really no big deal to me, as I don't use it that often. I push on the handle, and it tries to open, but the spring they used to open it does not supply enough pressure for the job. They must use two springs, too, because one time, after finally getting it open, I found a funky little spring in my compartment that appears to have fallen out of the joint. Now that that spring fell out, it opens a bit better, but probably still not as easy as it's supposed to.