Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Washer pump or switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Washer pump or switch

My windshield washer has stopped working in my 2008 2LT HHR. I have check water level and all fuses. I put a test light on the electrical plug and it flashes one time when I push the switch for the washer and the wipers work but no water is squirted. My question is: how do I know if it's the switch or the pump?
Old 11-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Check the voltage at the pump connection - if no voltage it's the switch - otherwise it's the motor. Run a jumper to the motor to confirm.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Technical Moderator

If there is power to the pump and the pump doesn't work I would go with the pump.

They are easy to replace, just a friction attachment, cost around $40 on eBay. Unfortunately, they are a one application pump, cheap generic pumps won't work.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:20 PM

This is an update. I hooked up the test light again and held the washer button in and the test light stayed on while the button was in so the switch and connector are OK. I ordered a new pump today.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:45 AM
geg

The pump-motor is not mounted by bolts, you easily get it from the holder.
Do it and join pump to the battery by wire directly. Two ordinary piece of wire will suffice. If the pump is still alive - you immediately see it.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:45 PM

I got the new pump today and put it in, but still no spray. I am getting power to the pump. I have not been able to relocate it but I saw a comment somewhere that someone had bought a new pump and the bottom part where the hoses connect was reversed. Mine too is reversed. The hose on the firewall side is not long enough to come around to the front to reverse them. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 11-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Technical Moderator

One side goes to the rear window. The pump reverses; one direction is the windshield the other is the rear window.

So, reversing the wires will accomplish the same as reversing the tubes.

I have never heard of this problem.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:15 PM

I tried switching the hoses, but still no joy. I am assuming that if my test light lights up when hooked to the washer power plug and washer button
is pushed that the electric is OK. Relays, fuses and wiring. Right? If so, then the new pump must be bad.

Last edited by BigT; 11-28-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Technical Moderator

Or maybe it is pumping, but the tubes are leaking or obstructed.

Do either spigots spit (front/rear)?

Can you hear the pump?

You could try holding the pump in your hand while it is plugged in to see if it runs when your lovely assistant pushes the buttons.

Does polarity change when you press the buttons?

All of this assumes that there is water in the tank.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 AM

I did switch the hoses. I had someone hold the washer pump button while I listened under the hood (engine off). I could not hear or feel the pump pumping. Water tank is full. Here is a picture of the two pumps the one on the left is the original. Notice that the hose connections are reversed.

Quick Reply: Washer pump or switch