Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

We really want to love this car but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 PM

Question We really want to love this car but...

We bought a 2008 used with 64,000. The Carfax was clean and except for a few cosmetic issues appeared to be in good condition. We bought with the insurance money after our Jeep Wrangler was totaled. Needed something a little more "family friendly" anyway and we have liked the idea of an HHR for a long time.

Right after we got it, the AC stopped working properly. Repairs were made under the dealer warranty, (thank goodness) just before it ran out and we moved to Central Florida. During the move, I got a service message to check the tire pressure monitor. It only comes on when it's crazy not outside. But I still get it from time to time. I know the tire is fine.

Sometimes I get a really rough idle with some jumping and surging or almost dying when stopped at traffic lights, etc. So far, no codes have popped, but it's strange. Again, I first noticed when it's hot and it's. It consistent.

Last night we realized we have no tail lights and part of the interior lightening is out. Checked the fuses, but so far, can't find the issue.

Oh, and let's not forget that the only speakers that work are the front left tweeter and door speaker. All the others no longer work. They stopped two days after we got the car, but we didn't realize it.

The dealer had a third party stereo shop install a new stereo with Bluetooth/hands free because of some "incorrect advertising".

We really want to like this HHR. But she's starting to be more trouble than we can handle. We've only lived here a couple of months so we don't have a mechanic and we would rather do the work ourselves. However, these issues have us totally stumped.

Any suggestions on where we can start?

Many thanks.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

You have a 6-7 year old used car with some problems. Not an uncommon thing.
Not really sure what kind of response you're looking for.

Since this is your 1st post, I'm guessing you were just wanting to rant.

Anyhow. Welcome to the site.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!!

I'll start with and easy one .....probably. The tire monitor.....you indicated it only illustrates a problem when it is "crazy" hot outside, but you don't say what the tire pressure is. If the tire is overinflated, more than the built in tolerance, the tire pressure monitor will illuminate. For example (and you don't give any info about the vehicle itself, other than the year) but if the door sticker for your model indicates 35 PSI and you are inflated to a cold pressure of 38, then as you drive the pressure will rise 1 pound for ever 10 degrees of ambient over the cold pressure set mark.....30 degrees means 3 psi (41 PSI total) which is enough to trigger a tire pressure message. This also works in reverse. If the tire pressure is set at 35 PSI cold, at an ambient of 80 and the temperature drops to 50....you will lose 3 pound of air or a pressure of 32. Does this make sense????

Subsequently I would check the tire pressure first thing in the morning before the vehicle is driven and adjust to the recommended pressure on the door sticker. This MAY eliminate the tire pressure problem. The "fudge" tolerance is close to 3-4 pounds in either direction, but stick as close as possible to the recommendation on the door sticker.

Let us know if this works.

The lighting problem.......SOME HHR's have a problem with the fuse box in itself. It is a 2 piece configuration, male/female for no better explanation, and sometimes is not seated correctly. I would try pushing down on the entire fuse box to see if that will TEMPORARILY correct the problem. If it does, the fuse box needs to be repaired/reconnected very carefully by someone knowledgeable......or maybe even a new fuse box if the male pins are bent beyond proper connection to the female counterpart.

Maybe others will have some suggestions.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 AM

When my wife brought home our HHR I hated the thing,... but only because we had just paid off our yellow '05 Neon.

It really wasn't the vehicle, I simply did not want to have another car payment to deal with.

It didn't take long before I became enamored with the little trucklet. We have owned it for around three years now I guess. I have put many new parts on it including a different engine this summer. It had a shade over 140,000 miles on it when we bought it and has just a shade under 200,000 on it now.

While I don't like to replace parts as much as I used to I can still swing a wrench to do a lot for myself and if I can't do it myself my younger brother usually can.

In my youth I had a body and fender shop with a full radiator shop and several machine tools. I even had a small blacksmith forge. There was little I could not fix even if I had to make parts by hand. I sold most of that stuff when I got divorced many years ago so I am more limited these days things like full engine replacement is no longer in my repetitory. I simply lack the tools these days.

Having bought my car used some of the normal things that go wrong with cars in general had already been fixed. And of course new things come up all the time, the latest being the ignition recall. I'm still waiting for the local dealer to get in the parts to do mine.

Give your juggernaut a chance, I'm betting you will decide you like it enough to keep it.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 AM

First of all, my apologies firemangeorge, this wasn't meant to be a rant. It was late. :)

Snoopy, I'll check the tire pressure this morning and see what happens. All 4 tires are new, so I'm not too concerned about this one right now. But, it scares the pee out of me when it goes off. :) Will also check the fuse blocks as well as all the connections behind the stereo.

Most of the time I really do like my HHR. 2008 LT with leather. She's comfy, good gas mileage, room for lots of stuff. I've found some great info here on the forum and appreciate the help.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

I would check the tire pressure before your temps get too high down there. Make sure they are at the required pressure. Tires shrink and expand with the temps from what I have found.. Could probably get away with 1lb under recommended pressure for a smidge more play on the pressure.

FWIW Snoopy, I have had some of my tires at 30lbs, and no Sensor light.

And yes, check the fuse blocks.. Make sure they are seated and lockededed down. :)

Happy Labor day RedCurlyHead
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Technical Moderator

I would suggest the use of the SEARCH box, just because I'm the bad guy. All of those issues have been covered ad nauseum.

You need new speakers. Or, maybe blame the stereo shop that did a bad install of an after market radio. Did the speakers ever work?

Jumping and surging at a stop can be caused by incorrect or dirty oil. 5W30 and change it when the car tells you to.

Need a https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/ click this link.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Halatosis is something to turn from and listen
welcome to the site, and once the common bugs are attended everything gets better and tbe car is a blast to drive. EASY to drive, enter and exit.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 PM

the idling problem could be a dirty / sticky throttle body. gently clean it with engine off using carb cleaner or throttle body spray cleaner. put a rag inside the throttle body so no cleaner gets down into the engine.

the intimidating air cleaner lifts straight up - no bolts.

it fixed mine.

welcome and good luck with the car. I have speaker issues too.

Quick Reply: We really want to love this car but...