Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Whining noise coming from rear wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM

Whining noise coming from rear wheel well

I have this whining noise coming from both rear wheels of my wife's 09 HHR LT with the 2.2. It is intermittent, it doesn't do it when starting up but will do it when driving after awhile and even then it comes and goes. It also makes the noise when I jack up the rear end. Recently just replaced the shocks and the brake pads on the rear and it still does it. Any ideas what else could cause it?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Karlo
I have this whining noise coming from both rear wheels of my wife's 09 HHR LT with the 2.2. It is intermittent, it doesn't do it when starting up but will do it when driving after awhile and even then it comes and goes. It also makes the noise when I jack up the rear end. Recently just replaced the shocks and the brake pads on the rear and it still does it. Any ideas what else could cause it?
Guessing by the Bolded portion above, you have an SS?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM

When it makes noise is it there when not moving or only when the car is moving

My first thought would be a noisy fuel pump. A fuel pump would make noise moving or setting still
Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Guessing by the Bolded portion above, you have an SS?
No, LT.

Originally Posted by Lucky
When it makes noise is it there when not moving or only when the car is moving

My first thought would be a noisy fuel pump. A fuel pump would make noise moving or setting still
It doesn't make it while idling but it does do it after a while, not immediately you have to be driving at least twenty or so minutes, when we are going down the highway. But the thing is it also made it when I got home, cut the engine off and jacked up the left rear end to take the tire off and take a look. It made the same whining, squeaking noise every time I turned the jack. Did it on the other side too. Don't think it is the fuel pump since the engine was off at the time.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

The LT has drum brakes, and the "pads" are actually called "shoes" - You really have to be precise when giving info, else confusion results, thus the added question to clarify. :)

No, it won't be the fuel pump if the engine is off.

I think someone posted about an odd noise from the rear of the vehicle that they tracked down to the rear hatch needing lubrication on the locking latch, and/or the rubber seal around the hatch. Might be worthy of checking out.

Last edited by whopper; 08-24-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: corrected "real" typo to "seal"
Old 08-24-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
The LT has drum brakes, and the "pads" are actually called "shoes" - You really have to be precise when giving info, else confusion results, thus the added question to clarify. :)
Sorry about that.

No, it won't be the fuel pump if the engine is off.

I think someone posted about an odd noise from the rear of the vehicle that they tracked down to the rear hatch needing lubrication on the locking latch, and/or the rubber real around the hatch. Might be worthy of checking out.
I will take a look but it sounds more like its coming from behind the wheels.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

Both wheels? Wheel Bearings/Hub Assemblys?
Old 08-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Both wheels? Wheel Bearings/Hub Assemblys?
Not if as he says, it happens when he is jacking the car up (the wheels/hubs would not be turning). Although who knows - trying to diagnose noises over the internet is not that easy at times.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whopper
Not if as he says, it happens when he is jacking the car up (the wheels/hubs would not be turning). Although who knows - trying to diagnose noises over the internet is not that easy at times.
that support across the back between the wheel wells fractured/damaged/warped?
Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, could be that, or creaking coil spring perches, bad bushings in the control arms etc.. The list goes on. He can try spraying silicone spray over anything that moves to see if that gets rid of it. But if he can't nail it down himself, he best take it to a suspension shop to see if they can track it down.

Quick Reply: Whining noise coming from rear wheel well