Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Windshield Wiper Problem

Hey Y'all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the windshield wipers not wanting to work?

I've noticed a couple times on my HHR the wipers not working properly. When I turn on the wipers (to intermittent) sometimes the wipers won't make an initial sweep. Sometimes the wipers will begin to move up across the windshield but will stop after about 2 inches. After the regular intermittent delay the wipers will work on the second and subsequent strokes. If I move the wipers to the on position (slow or fast) they will work right away as well.

I've also noticed similar behaviour when I pull the wiper switch down (ie. to make a single pass to clear the windshield.) Sometimes I have to pull the wiper stalk down a half dozen times before the wipers will actually make a pass.

The wipers seem to always work fine when I push the button to spray/mist and wipe the windshield.

Could this problem be related to some sort of faulty wiring or bad connection? I'm worried about possibly losing all use of my wipers and I really don't want that to happen especially with winter coming up. It can get very slushy and dirty here in the winter and if I couldn't clear my windshield I could be in big trouble.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM

I don't know much about this type stuff, but to me, wouldn't that sound like wiring, or a switch or something.... Because the wipers do work, as shown by when you use the washer, so I wouldn't think it's the motor....

I'm sure someone else might be able to shed a little more light...
Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM

My truck had a similiar problem. It ended up being damaged solder joints on the pulse board. Only option was to replace the board or the entire motor.

Probably something similiar here.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
My truck had a similiar problem. It ended up being damaged solder joints on the pulse board. Only option was to replace the board or the entire motor.

Probably something similiar here.
Was that an expensive repair? Is that something that can be done easily in the driveway or would it be best to let the mechanic tackle this problem?

I'm having a look at gmpartsdirect right now and they list a "module" and a "wiper motor". This pulse board that you mentioned would that be the same as the "module"? It doesn't seem to be too expensive (only $50 on GMPartsDirect.)

I'm assuming this module and motor and other wiper components should be easy to access by removing the black cowl under the windshield at the rear of the engine compartment.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Was that an expensive repair? Is that something that can be done easily in the driveway or would it be best to let the mechanic tackle this problem?
If it is the same, and your good with an iron, then probably not hard. Mine was covered under a recall, but I had already replaced the motor. The pulse board came out as a result of the recall.

But might be worth taking a look. No clue as to what a replacement motor for the HHR costs.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
If it is the same, and your good with an iron, then probably not hard. Mine was covered under a recall, but I had already replaced the motor. The pulse board came out as a result of the recall.

But might be worth taking a look. No clue as to what a replacement motor for the HHR costs.
I'm not sure what a replacement motor costs either. GMPartsDirect didn't list a motor only the module.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm not sure what a replacement motor costs either. GMPartsDirect didn't list a motor only the module.
Check EBay.....

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...+motor&_sacat=

Actually pretty cheap.
If you swap it out, I'd go ahead and do the plastic cowl area repair for leaks.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Hey Y'all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the windshield wipers not wanting to work?

I've also noticed similar behaviour when I pull the wiper switch down (ie. to make a single pass to clear the windshield.) Sometimes I have to pull the wiper stalk down a half dozen times before the wipers will actually make a pass.

The wipers seem to always work fine when I push the button to spray/mist and wipe the windshield.

Could this problem be related to some sort of faulty wiring or bad connection? I'm worried about possibly losing all use of my wipers and I really don't want that to happen especially with winter coming up. It can get very slushy and dirty here in the winter and if I couldn't clear my windshield I could be in big trouble.
I am having the same issue on the intermittent (single) wipe. Sometime it works, and other times it takes many tries before it wipes. Once it works the 1st time, it continues to work though. I know that if I take it to the dealer it will work fine and they will just tell me PNF....
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM

I had this issue with my wipers. I took a video with my camera and showed it to my service manager because I didn't think he'd believe me. They had to replaced the BCM as they told me the BCM was not always sending the command to turn the wipers on when in intermittent. Have not had any problems since the replacement.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM

I don't want to have to replace the BCM (I think that is a costly repair.) I think I'll live with this irritating condition for now and hope that the wipers are reliable in the low and high speed setting.

If those decide to start crapping out then I'll look into a repair.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Problem