Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Windshield wiper rubbing on the hood when wiper is up.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Windshield wiper rubbing on the hood when wiper is up.

Anyone else noticing this on their hood?

I have only had my HHR a week and a half, and i doubt I did this, but i really don't know. I was cleaning egg off of my car (reference my other post for that PITA).

After getting it all off, i was shining the hood a bit, and noticed a little tiny worn spot on it, and it looks like where the windshield wiper would hit it, and i look at the wiper and there is a little mark on the wiper too. So i slowly lift it up and sure enough it rubs on that exact spot.

I think this is the first time i had the wiper up, so i really don't think i did this. I don't know if I should talk to the dealer about it or what. But the spot looks worn good, like someone slammed the wiper up a couple times. But it seems like it's just screaming to wear more and then rust, the paint in that tiny spot is gone and it looks yellowish underneath it.

So, anyone else notice this on theirs. Do your wipers hit on the hood, or no? If so, what are you doing, what did you do about it?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 08:31 PM

I have the same problem, only on the driver side though. It isn't through the paint yet, just a little rub. I haven't thought of a fix yet though.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

twisterman.....

if you have the OEM windshield, look where the wiper stops and rests. The top outside tip of the wiper sits on a spot marked in the glass. Should be a mark on the lower passenger window (obviously for the passneger wiper) and another in the lower center for the drivers wiper.

Sometimes a small adjustment is necessary....you (but it involves a little work) or the dealer can do it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by stick
I have the same problem, only on the driver side though. It isn't through the paint yet, just a little rub. I haven't thought of a fix yet though.
yeah it's just on the driver's side, looks like a bad design for it to come up and knock on it like that.

I'm going to call the dealer since we've only had it a couple weeks, and have oly had the wiper up for the first time today
Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Could it be a simple hood adjustment that eliminates the rubbing? I just checked mine out, no rub but it is fairly close.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 PM

Mine does the same thing. When cleaning and detailing, I place a small microfiber towel over the edge of the hood before I lift the wiper up.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 PM

ugh, i'm just mad mine is already like that from the dealer, most likely from the dealer they traded with for it...

i'm going to call them to see what up with it tomorrow.

just seems like it shouldn't be that close at all... even if it's barely touching, that's just too close...
Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 AM

Me too.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 AM

Yup. I'm getting it too.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 AM

I noticed this the first time I washed mine. I turn on the car hit the wipers and turn the car off when the wiper is half way up. I was surprised that it hit, but then again car engineers aren't rocket scientists.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield wiper rubbing on the hood when wiper is up.