Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Chevy pulling for Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Was that the one where all the bowties and emblems were taken off?

I was talking with the former GM Product Manager and he was saying the wanted to use that for advertising, but decided against it, would have been super funny!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
Was that the one where all the bowties and emblems were taken off?

I was talking with the former GM Product Manager and he was saying the wanted to use that for advertising, but decided against it, would have been super funny!
Yes it was completely de-badged!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Here is a good site for more info on "where it is made" http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/auto/2008/index.cfm

We all make choices, and most of the the cheap (and often very poor quality) stuff does come from China. I try to avoid Chinese products, and it is difficult but not impossible.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM

The reality of the auto industry now is that there are very few manufacturers that build cars in just one country. Of course, niche manufacturers (Ferarri, Jaguar, Land Rover, and others) operate far fewer plants than other manufacturers. GM has plants in multiple countries, as does Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, etc. Makes it very difficult to call any manufacturer American or Japanese or whatever. If you classify them by where the buck stops in the corporation, then you can call them something. My Impala was built in Canada. My HHR was built in Mexico. My Toyota pickup was built in Fremont, CA. Many of the Fords or GM vehicles that you see running the streets in the UK have nothing in common with the vehicles on the streets in the US. But many vehicles that have been introduced in the US are based on successful vehicle platforms from other countries. Very chicken and egg type stuff. Are they "one country" or are they global?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Are they "one country" or are they global?

Just my 2 cents.
Tim, besides being my first thread I ever posted here, this was a "feel good" post for me. What you say is true and I will not try to debate or debunk it.

But until I take the big dirt nap, I will always think of Chevrolet being an American auto and Toyota being a Japanese auto. You can blame it on patriotism, pride, hardheaded irishman or whatever anyone cares to call it, but it's the way I see it. And seeing that chevy backing that trailer into the Toyota tent area in person made for a really feel good day at the State Fair.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Tim, besides being my first thread I ever posted here, this was a "feel good" post for me. What you say is true and I will not try to debate or debunk it.

But until I take the big dirt nap, I will always think of Chevrolet being an American auto and Toyota being a Japanese auto. You can blame it on patriotism, pride, hardheaded irishman or whatever anyone cares to call it, but it's the way I see it. And seeing that chevy backing that trailer into the Toyota tent area in person made for a really feel good day at the State Fair.
Trust me, I wasn't trying to say they were one thing or another. I was simply trying to play devil's advocate and pose some questions.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Trust me, I wasn't trying to say they were one thing or another. I was simply trying to play devil's advocate and pose some questions.
It's all good!, that's what it's all about.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Founding Member

Name:  BAJA2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  36.4 KB