Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

The Green Land-Speed Machine

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by black Tara
Gary I forgot to ask is the 6 speed an auto?
Tim
No, it's a manual. It's a GM F40 out of a 2008 Saab 9-3.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by breds2k
If I can do 150mph EASILY on GMS1 tune with bolt ons you can do better! LOL at the parachute.
That's what I'm hoping...the driver just needs to get better!

I actually used the chute on the 136 mph run--didn't need to, but I wanted to get used to the hit. It's a land-speed chute, which has a ribbon-style canopy and is about twice as long as a drag chute. Worked like a charm...
Old 05-13-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Most people with LNF's have had good luck with E85 and adding a 5th injector in the intake. You can get most of the details on the HPTuners site. That 360 was that at the wheels or the flywheel? BTW you wouldn't hear it knock, the computer would detect and adjust the timing. Log the next run you make, it will show and tell you everything that's going on. Has anything else been done to the motor?
I'm pretty sure the HP was at the wheels. I was actually using a pair of Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, and the plan was to log the runs with those. As it turns out--for whatever reason--the gauges apparently weren't seeing any of the sensors, and all I got was MPH and RPM, which was good enough to run but obviously not good for logging. I don't know if it was the gauges or the harness, but I just bought a mini laptop, and I'm going to load HPT on that and see if I can use the scanner's Virtual Dash in the car. If the scanner doesn't give me any readings, then I've obviously got a bigger problem that I'll have to deal with...
Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Twistedtat
Thats pretty awesome, an HHR doing a mile run event. Keep it up, and best of luck.
Hey, thanks! It's definitely different, and the car gets a good amount of attention in the staging lanes. But that's also the great thing about land-speed racing--you get just about every vehicle you can imagine out there, and everyone's cool with it, no matter how weird it might be...
Old 05-15-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Perkinson
That's what I'm hoping...the driver just needs to get better!

I actually used the chute on the 136 mph run--didn't need to, but I wanted to get used to the hit. It's a land-speed chute, which has a ribbon-style canopy and is about twice as long as a drag chute. Worked like a charm...
I tried to not use the brakes at all, thankfully had enough room to do so, just let off and eventually downshifted into 4th. Wouldve spanked the front pads with a moderate force at 150mph.

The HHR suddenly remembers its a flying brick when you let off at that speed and slows down well on its own.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:42 AM

Talking Ecotec hp

speaking of HP ... excerpt from ECOTEC performance engine building manual, admittedly for drag motors , but ...

check/download the manual HERE
Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by breds2k
The HHR suddenly remembers its a flying brick when you let off at that speed and slows down well on its own.
They DO slow down pretty well by themselves. The only problem at Ohio is that there are two turnoffs--one about 1/4 mile after the traps and the other at the end of the runway, about 1/2 mile from the traps--and if you're in a slow car (i.e., me), they get annoyed if you don't take the first turnoff...
Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 AM

Cool project!!

Originally Posted by Gary Perkinson
No, it's a manual. It's a GM F40 out of a 2008 Saab 9-3.
Does this bolt right in (to the engine, and does the shifter line up in the floor openning?), and how are the ratio's compared to the SS 5-speed, if you know? Also, is it rated for more power?

Also, about stopping in a 1/4 mile: are you required to have 4 brakes on the car (thinking about weight reduction), and have you thought about adding better pads in the front/rear? Also what tire size(s) (width) are you using? Do you think the shute was needed?

Good luck in Maine!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=NoGrip61;783518]Cool project!!

Does this bolt right in (to the engine, and does the shifter line up in the floor openning?), and how are the ratio's compared to the SS 5-speed, if you know? Also, is it rated for more power?

QUOTE]

They sell conversion kits on ZZP for them. Fairly pricey, but I believe they are a little more stout than our F35's. And from what I've seen, 6th on the F40 is about the same as 5th on the F35, but with closer ratios.