Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

new 08 hhr ss owner 1/4 mile questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned

new 08 hhr ss owner 1/4 mile questions

Hey guys thank you for all the welcomes in my introduction post much appreciated! Id like to ask a question that I’m having a hard time finding an answer too and that may be cause its too specific, or I didn’t look hard enough! I purchased a stock 2008 HHR SS Auto with 52k miles on Monday and from what I understand if I can get it to hook ill be in the 14.7-15.5 ¼ mile range?? If this is too optimistic feel free to bring me down to earth but I’m hoping that’s doable! The car is very clean and other than a faulty front left tire pressure sensor I can’t find anything else wrong with the car.

Now my big question is what will be the cheapest/safest way to bring that down to the 13.6-14.3 ¼ mile ET range?? Tires are out of the question cause its got a brand new set of eagle gt-1’s (I know not good but they were free from dealer and wife likes free lol) on it and the wife will not allow a second set right now, I’m wondering if a tune is likely my only way to go and if so what is the “best” can tune that I can get to put on myself and where can I get it and at what cost. My wife is not into modding cars so she kind of tolerates my addiction with a mild loathing and cold indifference BUT my kids love it and they wanna go fast with dad so yay!

I also wonder if a simple downpipe into full turbo back exhaust and some front engine mounts would do enough combined work to hit that 14.1-14.3 mark, but this may be more costly and less beneficial than a simple tune to start I’m not too sure. I’m just wondering if the more efficient flow coupled with the extra traction gained would be enough to get it there.

If there’s another option other than a tune or exhaust/front mounts please share I’m open to anything to get the times down to where my mustang was running for now and in the future I plan to push it into the 12’s once some of our other debt is paid down and I free up some car money

Thanks so much and P.S. if anyone is in eastern/central IOWA area and does meets let me know! Or if there’s some big meet we do annually as a hhr ss community let me know I’ll definitely try to attend!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

You might want to do a Search on this forum, for your topic. I did a brief search and came up with this.......

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/racing-discussion-7/post-your-1-8-quarter-mile-times-inside-here-39328/

There are at least 3-4 more threads with dozens of posts in each. Look at the times and speeds posted and then look at the "Signature" line that most will have at the bottom of the post. Bragging is free.

Then come back with specific questions. Plenty of opinions and some good advise.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

Thank you!,doing this from a crappy phone so the searches were saying no results :/ appreciate it

I guess the real base question is where is best place to get a tuner with pre loaded tunes for say $500 or less? That could achieve the times I'm hoping for?

I will go through that link at lunch that is much appreciated
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Oh I did read that link and its not really answering my question as far the most cost effective single upgrade to get me into the 13s

Nice to see some of those times though

Also its hard to decipher who's running auto and whos not on some of those
Old 01-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Banned

Ok so it appears the single best upgrade for a stock auto is gonna be a trifecta tune

So would anyone be able to tell me there experiences daily driving and also any track experience with an 08 ss auto with this tune?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Single upgrade to get in the 13's ? There isn't one.

What I mean is, to do it right(and reliable) there are a lot of things combined you need to do to achieve that. Exhaust,tune, mounts etc. They all work togeather and help each other.
There was an old saying that went something like "Speed cost money"
Like Snoppy said, do a search and read up.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

Do you think low to mid 14's are attainable with just the tune? Or would it be better to do a few mods all at once?

It appears the tune may be where I start pretty significant gains shown there.

Is there any suggested order that you guys have found to work better for the supporting mods

I'm planning a tune, downpipe and turbo back exhaust, top motor mounts for sure

A nice set of tires will also be necessary at some point.

Thanks for the replies
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM

Just from everything I've read and pardon my newness to the SS here as well..

It would seem I would plan out your phyiscal mods first, And tune right after. Tuning first could cost more in the long run as you have to re-tune when you add any significant amount of mods.

What I'm planning on doing first is lowering then getting sway bars and engine mount and more than like just the forged BPV and exhaust then go for a tune and be done. I'm not out to race mine but want more boost and everything to be done safely.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 PM

With the trifecta budget tune I ran a 9.06 in the 1/8th..does that equal 13's? I dont know, because I never tried...I had I/C piping and brand new street tires...so not much for performance mods..Slicks and a tune would definitely make it a mid to high 13 second car...tune alone would be low 14's for most I'm guessing

oh and tires are probably most important with these cars...I couldnt get into the 9's with the stock michelens at half life....new super soft tires shaved off over a second...

my timeslip: right lane

I also ran a best of 9.99 at 72 mph bone stock
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wowjason
Do you think low to mid 14's are attainable with just the tune? Or would it be better to do a few mods all at once?

It appears the tune may be where I start pretty significant gains shown there.

Is there any suggested order that you guys have found to work better for the supporting mods

I'm planning a tune, downpipe and turbo back exhaust, top motor mounts for sure

A nice set of tires will also be necessary at some point.

Thanks for the replies
Reading some of your posts, I get the sense that your not real familiar with the mechanical aspects of these cars.
You may want to do a little more research on exactly what you plan to do and the results you want.
Saying "top motor mounts". Are you talking about getting the solid front mount? There is just one up front.
Down pipe. What kind? Catted? Cattless. Makes a difference.
Small mods "usually" don't require a retune. Start doing a lot or major things, then yes, you'll have to retune. Better have a good relationship with your tuner.

Quick Reply: new 08 hhr ss owner 1/4 mile questions