Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Turbo Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM

Lightbulb Turbo Diesel?

So I'm a little new to the custom car world and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the idea of the 2.8L TurboDiesil from the Colorado in an hhr for its raw power and torque out put.

Basically looking for advice if nothing else.hoping for a beefy naturally aspirated 4 cylinder.

--edit--

Specs page for referenced engine: 2.8L inline4 TurboDiesil

Last edited by 843de; 04-21-2015 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added link for specs
Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Just get the SS HHR. 260 hp. 260 tq.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:14 AM

Yup LNF or LDK engines make more sense for our platform. You can make 400-500 hp with these blocks without a ton of mods.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:38 PM

Even if that engine bolted up to the trans, that much torque would be too much for it.
You'd want to go for the engine/trans combo which is probably configured for rear wheel drive.
then there is the small task of swapping the entire electrical and engine management systems.
Short version: buy an SS.
one other option if you are up for some custom work, add a supercharger or turbo to your current engine.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:34 AM

Plus it's direct injection which would require modification to your fuel system. And aren't diesel (correct spelling) fuel tanks designed differently than gasoline tanks? Do lots, and I mean lots of research before even thinking about spending a dime on this pipe dream......
Old 09-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Many years ago my brother in law bought a Mazda RX 7. It originally had the Mazda twin rotor Wankel engine in it. After spending lots of money on the Wankel he decided to put a little 4 cylinder diesel from an Onan light plant in it.

It took a lot of work to get the clutch figured out but once it was finished it ran and worked pretty well for him. Of course back then gas was selling for around 36 cents a gallon and number one diesel was selling for around half that.

You did not need a stop watch when clocking it from 0 to 60. A calender was more in order for that task.

Ok, not really. It actually was much quicker than it had been with the Wankel but then again the Wankel had not worked quite right from the time he got the car.

The original fuel tank held the diesel just fine. He did have to add a return line from the pump but I'm pretty sure that was the only mod he made on that.

When all was said and done with that project he probably could have bought a whole 'nother car for less money but, it kept him out of the bars for a few months.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

RX-2 sedan perhaps? 36 cent gas was back in the early early 70's. Interesting car, but those early rotary engines were kinda short on long-life.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
RX-2 sedan perhaps? 36 cent gas was back in the early early 70's. Interesting car, but those early rotary engines were kinda short on long-life.
Could well be, its been a long time and my brother in law has been dead for 8 years so I cant ask him. I do know it was a pretty sporty looking car, looked fast just sitting still.

The original owner had already had the engine rebuilt or perhaps replaced at least twice under warrantee, when it failed again he sold it darn cheap.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
RX-2 sedan perhaps? .............
Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Could well be........I do know it was a pretty sporty looking car, looked fast just sitting still.
More that likely an RX-7 then. Much sportier looking than the Mazda sedans. I had a 79 for a short while back in the 90s.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
Could well be, its been a long time and my brother in law has been dead for 8 years so I cant ask him. I do know it was a pretty sporty looking car, looked fast just sitting still.

The original owner had already had the engine rebuilt or perhaps replaced at least twice under warrantee, when it failed again he sold it darn cheap.
That sounds like the RX-7 then - the RX-2 was rather boring in appearance. I always thought the original RX-7 was pretty nice - until I had a short demo ride in the twin turbo set-up that came out years later!!!! It was one nasty fast car.

I've seen a few of the original RX-7 here where the owners have dropped a Chev 350 in them - that will perk them up a bit no doubt.

Quick Reply: Turbo Diesel?