Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No sound from radio!?!!?

Old 07-05-2006, 07:21 AM

No sound from radio!?!!?

Well... something happened that's never been encountered before. Was running the town last Saturday (day) and hopped in the HHR after my last stop just to find that the radio wasn't producing any sound!?
The interesting part was that the radio HAD POWER, would switch channels, and would goto CD (or AUX)... BUT NO SOUND!?
Seeing that the radio was ON... figured it was just a fuse-related issue. Drove it home, soundless, and fidgiting with it all the way. Turned it off and on, up then down, etc, etc... nothing.
Got home, checked the fuses... NEITHER WERE BLOWN (e.g. Radio, AMP).

Miffed at the results, I pushed them back in and turned the car on and Viola!... it worked!!

Still have no clue as to what happened...? It's almost as if there's a breaker on the amp that shuts it down if it gets too hot, although we were listening to it at 1/4 volume (pretty quiet).
Thoughts?
BTW- I've got the (stock) premimum sound system that comes with the 2LT.

Last edited by SCOOT; 07-05-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:34 AM

Gotta be gremlins under your hood.

Seriously...sounds like it's probably fuse related or the overheating issues you mentioned. Mine did that once and once I turned the car off and restarted it...everything was fine with the world. No idea what happened and it never happened after that either. Have since upgraded to 6 disc and haven't had a single problem.

Maybe someone with more knowledge about stereos can enlighten us though.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:35 PM

My Guess is you were plagued with the "Fuses are loose at the factory" issue mentioned a few times here on these forums

And you pulling and replacing the fuse just re-seated it where it should have been in the beginning and now it's all good.

Go and push in all the rest of the fuses (One's under the hood too) to ensure you don't have anything else go all funky on ya.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM

mute button on steering wheel maybe?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the responses! Nope... not the mute button- that was the first thing that came to mind... then again, whenever you touch the volume control (when it's muted) it "UnMutes" automatically.
As for the fuses... 1day I got the HHR I re-sat all my fuses- under the hood. I was unaware that the kick panel may have had the same issues. None-the-less... I did seat all those as well.
Hmmmm... the problem hasn't surfaced since!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 AM

O-yea... I also turned the vehicle off, then on (twice) ... no cure.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:40 PM

Radio gremlins

I've been having this very same issue. The day I went to pick up the car from the dealer I went home in a rental because they couldn't figure out why there was no sound coming out of the radio while everything else worked. They replaced the amp and I took the car home the next day - that was two weeks ago. After three days the radio went out again. It came back on by itself a day later. I seated all the fuses the first time it went out, both in the engine compartment and passenger side footwell kick panel. The service manager thinks its a loose connection somewhere else.

I'm dropping it off on Monday for the dealer to look over the whole thing again. It's definitely not temperature related. I thought that at first since it seemed like maybe the amp was overheating and cutting out. The radio (and all other sound) cuts out and in as I go over large bumps in the road. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

I still love this car though. People give me thumbs-up wherever I go.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:04 PM

Radio Sound

MARS, if your radio is cutting in and out going over bumps I would agree with your dealer that you probably have a loose connection somewhere. My dealer tried that with me when I had my problem but fortunately my radio quit all together and they had to replace it and I have not had a problem since.. Good Luck..

Julain
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Mars...I just thought of something that Mike from SoCalHHR's mentioned several times. Here's an excerpt of what I found regarding intermittent electrical gremlins. Might have something to do with it occurring when you go over bumps jar the seat.

It was discovered in a few early production run HHR's that seat mounting fasteners had punctured part of the wiring harness - causing many electrical problems. This has since been sorted out (by re-routing the harness), but perhaps you got one that had been sitting around a while - or it may have been a recurring problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 PM

I've only had this car two weeks. There's a marking inside the kick panel dated 04-04-06. I'm sure there's a way to trace the VIN or some other marking elsewhere that gets you the build date. I would be inclined to think this was later in the production run. I will metion that issue when I bring it in. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No sound from radio!?!!?