Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Remote lock/unlock receiver "asleep"?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Exclamation Remote lock/unlock receiver "asleep"?

Hello. This is my first post on the board but it's one I haven't seen mentioned. I have a 2008 HHR and my remote had been working intermittently for a while, so I opened it up and soldered the weak points and it worked fine. Recently I took it to the dealer to fix the blinker arm because it snapped off. I think they unhooked the battery to do the repair, at least I think they did because a bunch of settings were reset.
Anyway, I can repeat this every single time so I know it's not the remote. When I'm in the vehicle and the keys are in the ignition and on, I can lock/unlock the car with the remote as many time as I want. Once I remove the key, and wait about 10 seconds it doesn't work remotely. I can open the door and it will again until the door is closed and I wait about 10 seconds. This eliminates the need for a remote if I can't use it to unlock or lock the car after the door is shut. Its a if the system shuts down until its awakened by opening the door or powering the vehicle on. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Welcome!
this could sound stupid but did you replace the battery and see if it did anything?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Technical Moderator

You mean that after you remove the key, get out of the car, close the door, then use the remote to lock right? "close the door" is the operative part of the question, since there is a delay if you lock with the remote then close the door.

Otherwise, take it back to the dealer for a BCM re flash; an inexperienced tech may have blown it. Also check the DIC for the lock programming, it's covered in the Owner Manual (available on this forum).
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Deceased

to the forum Finch106!

Hmm...can't add a lot to the previous posts right now, but if a new battery doesn't cure things, Don is right in suggesting a return visit to your dealer.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You mean that after you remove the key, get out of the car, close the door, then use the remote to lock right? "close the door" is the operative part of the question, since there is a delay if you lock with the remote then close the door.

Otherwise, take it back to the dealer for a BCM re flash; an inexperienced tech may have blown it. Also check the DIC for the lock programming, it's covered in the Owner Manual (available on this forum).
I mean that if the door is closed, as long as I press lock within a certain amount of time it will work. If I wait too long, it's like the car fell asleep and won't respond to either action unless the door is reopened and closed again. It's strange. The battery is new because I replaced it before realizing that the carbon contacts on the pad were bad. Those were replaced and now the remote shows a signal for all buttons at the tester that Autozone has. Would the dealer charge for a reflash? I appreciate the responses.

EDIT: I know that it "dings" 3 times to let you know it will do the delayed lock. I'm putting the car in park, exiting, shutting the door, and if I don't press lock on the remote within about 10 seconds, using the remote doesn't work. If I open the door, immediately shut it and press lock on the remote it works instantly without delay since the door is closed. Same for unlock. If I lock the car any way you can, go do whatever and come back with my hands full, I'd like the remote to be able to unlock the door, and it won't. But 100% the remote isn't at fault, as far as it needing to be soldered or the pad replaced because I can replicate the problem every time.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Technical Moderator

I am thinking that the BCM needed updating when they mucked with the steering column/turn signal switch, and did it incorrectly. The TechII Scanner seems to be too much for some "GM Certified" technicians, I have had some problems along those lines.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM

This Has Been Handled Before

See:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/keyless-entry-not-working-dashes-tpms-39586/

You have however, found something new in that it only does not work after the RAP time out.

Last edited by Sno White; 06-05-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added RAP
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sno White
See:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39586

You have however, found something new in that it only does not work after the RAP time out.
Yep. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...7&postcount=55 says it all. I appreciate all the answers in trying to understand what the problem was. I'll take it in and hopefully they won't charge me since they did it.