Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Bleeding brakes

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 AM

Bleeding brakes

I took the SS to a track day a few weekends back (80 minutes on the Firebird Int'l road course), and the brake pedal has been fairly soft ever since. I'm guessing the brakes just need to be bled, but I'd like to do it myself.

First, any suggestions on the fluid I should use? I'm planning to go to at least one or two more track days this summer, so maybe something that doesn't break down as easily. I have read/heard good things about Motul RBF600, can we use this in the SS? Is there something less expensive with better high-temperature performance than the factory fill?

Also, is there anything special about bleeding brakes on the SS? I've never done it myself before, but I have a few more experienced friends who can help out.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:03 PM

This is a biased opinion but a proven one. I highly recommend Wilwood Engineering's EXP600 Plus. It has one of the highest dry boiling points in the industry at 625 degrees and has a wet boiling point of approximately 425 degrees. In a side by side comparison with Motul & Castrol, it does not break down or carbonize as quickly in the higher temperature range. It works very well and for the budget minded enthusiast, it is 30% less expensive than Motul or Castrol.

Regarding the brake bleeding, there isn't anything special that I am aware of that needs to be done outside of having a helper pressurize the circuit (pump it up and hold) while you crack the bleeders.

The wife and I have just acquired an 06 LS and I will be looking into the possibility of Wilwood making a front and rear big brake upgrade for the HHR. Soon as I get something, I'll be sure to let you guys and gals know.

JB
Wilwood Disc Brakes

Last edited by Jeff & Kay Baluyot; 04-14-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: clarifying specs on brake fluid
Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that fluid as well... can I get it in a store, or do I need to order it? And if I change to a better fluid, do I need to do anything else to flush all of the old fluid out? Or is that essentially accomplished through the bleeding process?

Also, I was reading about this yesterday, and I thought I ran across a Wilwood brake kit for the HHR: http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=27
Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM

bleeding brakes

Just make sure that you evacuate the existing fluid in the system and flush the circuits with the EXP600 Plus before you start bleeding the system. You may want to have 3 bottles on hand to cover the process.

Regarding the Wilwood Big Brake Kits, our man Todd at TCE Performance Products has Wilwood well represented with the brake kits that he has developed using Wilwood calipers, rotors, hats and pads. Definitely check them out at www.tceperformanceproducts.com for pricing and detailed information.

TCE PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS
1302 W. 23RD ST., SUITE 106
TEMPE, AZ 85282
Tel: 480-967-7901

JB